f o u r

"They're..." I shifted my weight to my left leg, glancing over at the boys who were gazing at my curiously. "Holograms! Yup, they're holograms. I helped Julie set them up before the show in the projector." I pointed to the projector that just so happened to be conveniently pointing towards the stage. 

"Woah cool!" Someone shouted from the crowd, murmurs of agreement rippling among them.

Julie nodded to me gratefully, relief sparkling in her eyes. I winked at her before skipping down the steps. Mrs. Harrison approached the stage. I shot her a thumbs up, leaving the gymnasium with the rest of the crowd and walking through the hall. 

"Katie!" A felt a hand grab my arm and turn me around.

"Nick?" I laughed a bit uneasily, the students in the hallway swarming into classes and eventually vanishing until it was just the two of us and the boys who were standing beside me.

"That was..." He broke off, searching my eyes briefly. "Incredible."

"Thanks Nick. I would explain it but it involves algorithms and sciencey stuff." I chuckled, pulling my arm out of his grasp.

"You're so great." His voice was almost a whisper. 

I felt my cheeks warm at his comment and I glanced at the boys in panic. Alex and Luke smirked at my suggestively while Reggie shifted his gaze down the hallway uncomfortably.

"Thanks, I'm gonna get to class..." I smiled awkwardly, backing away slowly.

"Right! Uh, bye!" He scratched the back of his neck, his face flushed. 

I nodded to the boy, turning on my heel and walking with my head lowered. Thankfully, it was my free period anyway so I had no where in particular to be. The boys followed after me eagerly, Luke and Alex practically breathing down my neck.

"What?" I snapped, a little harsher than intended. 

The two looked taken aback and I sighed. "Sorry, that was just...fucking uncomfortable and awkward." I mumbled, not missing the slight grin that crossed Reggie's lips.

"Yeah, he was flirting way too hard." Alex agreed, falling into step beside me as I walked towards the girl's bathroom.

I nodded, pushing open the door. When they followed after me, I stared at them in shock. 

"You know this is the girl's bathroom, right?" I placed a hand on my hip.

"Yeah but we're ghosts so it doesn't really matter. We can wait." Luke smiled innocently.

I rolled my eyes, carrying my bag into a stall and pulling off my shirt and tights. "It's so cramped in here I wish the locker rooms were open." I grumbled.

"Too late now." Reggie laughed from outside, making my crack a small smile to myself. 

"Here Alex, fold these." The tossed the tights and tube top over the top of the stall.

"Yes ma'am!" He giggled, catching my clothes.

I pulled on a cropped pale blue t-shirt that read 'The Office' in white and black leggings. I opened the stall, walking towards the mirror and pulling make-up wipes out of my bag, wiping the purple tinted make-up off my face. Once everything was washed off my face, I applied a fresh layer of mascara and a tad bit of blush. I ruffled my curled hair a bit, running my fingers through the dark caramel strands to get some of the tangles out.

"Ooookayyy! I am ready to sing. To the music room boys!" I twirled around, facing the door, catching the glittery articles of clothing as Alex tossed them towards me.