s i x t e e n

I wandered down the street of Sunset Boulevard with Alex at my side. I had taken him out to get ice cream and since everything he holds goes invisible, I thought why not? We learned that the guys couldn't actually eat but they could lick things and guess what, you lick ice cream to eat it so I guess we found a loop hole. Alex suggested we walk down here strictly because he wanted to see how it had changed. 

"It smells weird down this alley." I cringed with a laugh.

"Yeah, exactly when I was thinking that night." He murmured.

I frowned, pulling the tall boy into a hug. "Alex you know if you didn't die, we wouldn't of met? So really, it's a blessing and a curse. Yeah you're dead but you met us and Willie. And that's a good thing isn't it?" I could feel him relax as he let out a sigh.

"I guess it is." He shot me a grin. "If I hadn't died, I wouldn't have met my best friend!"

"That's the spirit!" I continued walking down the dimly lit alley.

It was night time now and I wanted to get back home soon. My dad was out of town and I was "babysitting" Carlos and Jules. As I was about to take another step, a tall man in a black suit, cape, and top hat materialized in front of me. I let out a gasp, stumbling back. 

"Caleb." Alex practically growled, grabbing my arm protectively.

"Now, what are you doing walking all alone at this time of night?" Caleb paced around me, smirking. "Don't you know it's dangerous for a girl your age without anyone real to protect you?"

"I'm capable to protecting myself." I snapped, eyes narrowed.

"Are you?" He asked almost threateningly.

I gulped, averting my gaze. "Yes. Alex and I were just going." I grabbed Alex's hand.

Alex glared at Caleb, his face red with fury. "Leave her alone Caleb." He snarled.

Caleb arched his brow. "And what if I don't?" He asked, casually stepping in front of me to block my escape.

"Run. Kat, run!" Alex yelled, shoving me backwards.

I turned, sprinting down the alleyway. I felt hands snatch my waist and I let out a shriek, thrashing around in the grip. 

"Alex!" I cried out, clawing at the hands that held me tight. "Alex, help me!"

Purple smoke engulfed me and I could feel myself become drowsy.

"Kat!" His voice echoed in my ears.

My body went limp in Caleb's arms. My vision swirled into darkness as my eyes fell closed.

"KATIE!" Alex shrieked again, his voice fading away.

I awoke in a dark room on a leather sofa, my knees curled into my chest. My head pounded as I sat up, dizziness overtaking me. 

"You're awake I see." Caleb's voice startled me.

I pressed myself into the arm of the sofa, trying to shrink away from him. He reached a hand out and my muscles stiffened. I couldn't move. His hand caressed my cheek as he examined my face. I broke out of his little trance, smacking his hand away roughly.

"Ah, a powerful one I see." He grinned, pulling his hand back. "You and your sister are of much interest to me, Katie." He snapped his fingers, a boy bringing him a chair. "You two can see these ghosts when they are not playing. And you, Katie, can feel them."

"What do you want from me?" I whispered, narrowing my eyes as I curled into myself.

"The boys, Katie. You see, I have something they want now. And if they come and get it, they have to pay. Pay by staying in my club. I'm sure you'd agree that it would be much better than them ceasing to exist?" He stared at me with such intensity.