t h i r t e e n

Jess held my hand in her own, guiding me to the center of the hardwood floor for the third time tonight. "May I have this dance gorgeous?" She winked at me, twirling me around as we reached the center on the floor.

"Of course you may." I grinned at her.

She twirled me under her arm and we danced to the slow song Flynn played through the speakers. I glanced up at the clock, watching as is read 11:00. 

"Sorry bubs, I've gotta go see if the 'machine' is working now." I winked at her before walking off.

I climbed the steps onto the stage, Flynn leading me behind the wall that separated the stage from the crowd. Julie was sitting beside the "hologram" machine. She looked miserable. 

"Where are they Kat?" She whimpered, staring up at my worriedly.

"I don't know Jules, I'm so sorry." I glanced at Flynn. 

"I can only stall for so long guys." She bit her lip nervously.

Nick sauntered into the small room. "What's the holdup guys? Need any help?"

I blinked at him gratefully. "We just can't get it to work." I lied.

"Well," He crouched beside Julie, tugging the plug out of her hand. "It may help to plug it in. Unless, you didn't want it plugged in...?" He trailed off. 

"We can't do it tonight." I told him.

"Of course you can! You're Jatie and the Phantoms!" He insisted.

Oh yeah, Flynn came up with a name for our band. Jatie and the Phantoms. (Pronounced jay-tea) I loved it personally, it was a mix of Julie and Katie. 

"You got this." He told us, running out on stage.

"What is he doing-" I ran after him with Julie at my heels.

"We got the machine working! Who wants to hear some Jatie and the Phantoms!" He called into the microphone.

Flynn stared at him in horror. She looked to us nervously. I shook my head, gripping Julie's shoulders.

He handed the microphone to Julie. She stepped forward. 

"Hi guys." She smiled awkwardly. "So we did get the machine working thanks to Nick. But unfortunately, we can't link up with the boys tonight. Wifi, am I right?" She chuckled.

I pinched the bridge of my nose. How could they do this to us? We fucking trusted them! I could feel tears fill my eyes as Carrie took the stage and told everybody to head to her house for a party. As everyone filtered out of the gym, Julie, Flynn, and I sat on the ground.

"I can never show my face at this school ever again." Julie groaned.

 I popped balloons miserably, Julie looking utterly embarrassed and depressed as she copied my actions. Flynn frowned at us, getting to her feet.

"I'm gonna go get ice cream from the cafeteria. Fools gave me the keys." She laughed in an attempt to lighten the mood.

"Gimme two of everything!" Julie called after her.

"I'll take a chocolate and a strawberry!" I grumbled.

I lay myself down against the floor, squeezing my eyes shut. I was so pissed off. Not only did they bail on me, but they embarrassed us, Julie especially. We trusted them and they took advantage of us. Three poofs sounded in the corner of the gym.

"Julie, Kat! We're ready to rock this dance...which is clearly over." Reggie ran into the gym with Luke and Alex.

Julie stood, tears streaming down her cheeks. She glared at the three before running off and exiting the large room.