Black Smoke

Tommy couldn't sleep. Having been sat in his bed for far to long he was desperate to move. As he lit another cigarette his thoughts began to wander towards his next steps.

As soon as he was out of this hospital he was going to kill the priest, end his fucking life after he got what he needed from the Russians. As he leaned his head back he winced, the stitches catching slightly on his pillow.

The recent near death experience had been far to close, he had gotten sloppy, forgot that he wasn't untouchable no matter how much he wanted to be.

It was time to reevaluate his priorities.

——-
The following morning he slowly began to wake, his eyes sluggish as he focused on the light coming in from the window.

"I don't see how it's your concern" he heard from the other side of his door "He's mending quickly, all the studies I've read say-"

"You're pushing him to much Miss Heart. You're purposely undoing my work" he heard the familiar nasally voice of his surgeon Dr Sailes, the man that almost killed him for the second time.

"How Dr Sailes? Please tell me how I've undone you're work?"

"Don't push me Miss Heart. Just because you're mother-"

"Bite your tongue Mr Sailes. I will not let you finish that sentence" he heard the familiar anger in her tone and knew that she had won their conversation.

Tommy nurse had fire, he had seen it before when her colleagues had miss placed his morphine or when they forgot to change his chest bandage.

Before he could listen anymore his door opened and in she stepped, face flushed and a scowl on her pretty face.

"Good morning" he said with a smirk as she swept into the room and picked up his paper work.

"Is it?" She asked him before dropping the file and making her way over with, her hands on his as she checked his pulse.

"I heard your boss out there" he told her as he watched her carefully, watched her eyelashes flutter as she looked at him.

Olivia scoffed "He's not my boss" she quickly dropped his hand and began scribbling on his notes.

"What's his problem?"

Olivia took in a deep breath, contemplating whether to tell him before she dusted down her dress "He thinks I'm pushing you too hard"

Tommy gathered as much but he didn't agree with his surgeons opinion, at all. If it wasn't for Olivia he would be dead or worse.

"And you don't think so?" He asked her, watching as her eyes ignited with a flicker of anger and panic.

Olivia paused, unconsciously placing a hand on her chest "Have I pushed you to hard?"

Tommy felt his throat constrict quickly but coughed before looking away "I don't. If it weren't for you I wouldn't be here" he nodded at he for good measure.

Olivia sighed before composing herself once again "I'm sorry that you heard that conversation Mr Shelby" she said as she shook her head "Anyway, enough about that. Your family are on their way to speak to you so I'll just change your bandage and leave you be"

Tommy watched as she collected her things, her hair swishing as she walked across the room to wash her hands.

"What's your name?" He demanded but as soon as the words fell out of his mouth he remembered a few days ago in his drug fuelled state that he had asked her before.