The enemies' strength, Carina's white lie

After a few minutes, Coco continued.

        On arriving at Tiberio's fortress, Coco and his wife found all the lodgings already taken. Tiberio had personally showed him the vacant and partially blown down shelter and gave him a few supplies for which they were grateful.

        As Coco was finishing , Asara and the little girl drew closer to them, standing not far from the small table. Uberto glanced up at the woman and caught her fleeting smile before she shyly turned away. She was comely when she smiled.

        Coco spoke to Asara and without delay finished his food. It was apparent to Uberto it was their custom for the men to eat first, and he guessed Coco was showing consideration for her and the child by not lingering at supper. Uberto had already finished, as he had continued eating while Coco was speaking. They rose from the table and Coco led the way outside, bringing their pillows with him.

        "Stay," he said. "We talk."

        They sat down next to the house, and before long Asara brought more wine. The sun was descending behind the trees, and where they rested they could see the green fields to their left and the foothills of the mountain range to their right. The air was pleasantly cool.

        "Coco, you have seen the Saracens," said Uberto. "What are they like and how are they able to fight so well that no one so far has been able to defeat them.?"

        Coco related how the Muslims came by sea in great ships and overpowered the undermanned forces in Sardinia. He told how they were armed with chain mail and conical helmets and fought from their horses with long swords, vanquishing their opponents who had neither horses nor armor. He told of their laying siege to the few walled towns that resisted and of slaughtering the defenders. Those who remained were forced to convert to Islam or die, though some were permitted to pay heavy taxes instead. Everything of value was looted.

        Uberto listened to Coco's sobering words, sometimes asking him about things that were unclear. Darkness fell as the sun sank below the horizon in the western sky, and Uberto rose to leave. "Thank you for your hospitality." 

        "It nothing, friend."

        That evening, as Uberto bedded down with his two friends in their room, he told them about Coco's place and what he had said about the Saracens. As it was late, they spoke no more about it. However, just before falling asleep, Uberto had an idea.

        The next day, instead of staying to practice after training, Uberto went early to the great hall hoping to find Carina. He sat down to eat with Guy and Wotano, and when he saw Carina he left them to join her. She spoke first.

        "I am glad to see you. I have something to show you."

        "What is it?"

        "Come with me after we eat and you will see it."

        "So, a surprise."

        "Sit down by me," she said.

        Her two assistants were nearby at the table and Carina looked at Gina and raised her hand.  Gina had seen Uberto and understood Carina's unspoken message that she wanted to be alone with him. She and Gertrude moved further down the long table.

         "I was with Coco last night," said Uberto. "He is the dark one who is also in training to become a knight."

       "I  have seen him. He comes for food but takes it with him rather than eat with us."

        "It is because he has a wife and a small child he takes it home to. He is a good fighter and yesterday the two of us battled. Your father congratulated us afterward."

        Carina swallowed the bit of food she had in her mouth and looked at Uberto. "I always knew you were skilled with the sword."

         Uberto smiled and continued speaking. "Yesterday evening, Coco invited me to his house. It is a ramshackle dwelling, half blown down by the wind. Coming so late to the manor it was the only thing your father could give them."

        "How do they manage to live there?" she asked, surprise showing on her face.

        "He has filled the huge gap on the bottom with branches and twigs for now but I hate to think how cold it will be when the winter winds blow. Last night I had an idea. If we can get some rope, I think my friends and I with our horses would be able to pull the raised side of the cabin back down."

        "My horse, Callista, could pull too. When you get it down, his wife could probably use some help getting things put back together inside."

           "Of course. Do you know where we can get enough rope?"

       "At plowing time they use it to tie the plows to the oxen. Romero would know where they keep it. I'll ask him."

        "Good. Once you find out where the rope is kept we can get it and go to Coco's house. I'm glad you're willing to help with this."

        "I'd like to meet his wife. Is she also dark?"

         "Just like him. By the way, what was it you wanted me to see?"

       "I'm glad you remembered. I had forgotten. It's in the courtyard. Will you go there with me now?"

          "A moment," said Uberto, swallowing the last of his supper. "When you're ready we can go."

          Carina put the last two bites of food in her mouth, took a drink, and got up from the table.

        Uberto nodded to his friends on the other side who were watching him and accompanied Carina as they walked from the hall. They went down the steps and out into the courtyard, turning where he remembered they had planted her pell. Together, they walked up to it.

        "See," said Carina. "Now do you know why I wanted you to see it?"

        Uberto stepped closer to the post. "I can hardly believe you got it all off," he said.

        "You haven't forgotten what it means, have you?" she asked with a note of triumph in her voice.

        "Oh, I remember, to be sure," said Uberto, who had knelt down to examine the post. "Did you really do this yourself?"

        "Of course," she lied. "Who else do you think practices on this pole? You're going to have to fight me."

        Uberto got up, came to her and looked her straight in the eyes. Carina knew he didn't quite believe her. He said, "You realize your father thinks I'm one of the best. Are you sure you really want to go against me?"

        "It was my father who taught me to fight."

        Uberto regarded her again. Carina held her ground and stared back at him. She could see it was with great reticence he was agreeing to do what she wanted, and then, only because he had promised. For a moment she weakened, and would have been glad for him to take her in his arms. Instead, she thought again of the harems, and her fighting spirit returned full force. "Alright," he finally said. "I promised, and if you really want to we will fight."

        "Thank you, Uberto," she said, a bright smile on her face. Her smile faded. "If you put up a real battle and don't just toy with me. Believe me, I myself won't be playing. If the Saracens come I want to be ready."

        "I understand."