She feared him, yet

The fortress gate opened and women and children appeared outside the stronghold followed by horses, cows, goats, chickens and pigs. They were being led forward by the people and their dogs. Giancarlo smiled. His plan had worked perfectly and he had not lost a man. He directed the chickens and pigs to be put into the wagons, and ordered the release of the now horseless, weaponless enemy. He watched as the dejected warriors trudged back to their fortress with the women and children.

        With most of the men away, Carina returned to her work, that of weaving fibers into cloth. Though such work had been the craft of women since the beginning of time, Carina had help, for she was not a peasant. With her was Gertrude, a true spinster who had never married, and Gina, barely twenty and the bright eyed mother of two—a daughter, Kara, five, and an infant, Oliver, asleep in a basket

      "We have spun a great deal of wool in your absence," said Gertrude with pride.

        "Wait till you see what I have brought back from Nice," replied Carina. She went to a storeroom and pulled out a burlap bag.

        Gertrude, Gina, and her daughter, Kara, came near to look into the large bag. Gina reached inside and pulled out some of the yarn.

        "Oh, Lady Carina," said Gina, "this is the softest wool I have ever laid my hands on. What is it?"

        "It is called merino wool. It will make a fine and imposing mantle for my father. Gina, there is another bag in the storeroom. Bring it out."

         Gina brought out a smaller bag, and already looking inside said, "What is this? It is so shiny."

          "It is silk!" exulted Carina, and she pulled a big tuft out of the sack.

        "Oh, and the color, so bright a red," said Gertrude. "It is fit for a king."

        "Yes, for my father. I will use it to decorate his mantle and still have plenty left over for special garments," said Carina. "It is precious fibre, imported at great cost from the Orient."

        "Who gave you this?" asked Gina. "The count who rescued us? He could have such wealth."

         "You have guessed rightly," Carina answered, trying to assume a casual manner for what she knew would follow.

        "Then he wants you," said Gertrude. "Why else would he go to such expense?"

        "Are you happy at last to have such a man?" said Gina. "One who can give you anything you want."

        "I don't know," Carina answered. "We must get back to work. What will be, will be." She didn't want to talk with them about what she was thinking. He is older, maybe too old for me. Besides, I  do not know how to act like a lady. He might find me too provincial. Might take away my freedom to say what I feel. I grew up too free, she thought to herself. I don't know what I want.

        The sun was going down and Carina was thoughtful as she sat eating the customary light supper in the great hall. She was seated at one of the two high tables reserved for members of her family, knights and honored guests. She had worked late, and there were only a few others who remained in the hall dining on fresh, thick bread, sliced meat and fruit. Gertrude sat at the lower table near the cook's helper, and they both ate in silence. It was the time of night when most people soon would go to bed, to rise when the sun reappeared. Carina was reflective. She was glad her brother, Amadeo, who came and sat near her did not at once begin talking. They both looked up on hearing the horn.