She faced her attackers, sword drawn

Although Giancarlo could barely see the enemy tents from his own position, he had listened for movement at their campsite and thus far had heard nothing. Of the other two groups of his own men, he could see neither, but repeated bird calls told him that all was in readiness for attack. Suddenly, he heard the advance group of Leonardo, Marco and Arturo break into barbaric yelling as they charged the tents.

       Giancarlo led his men forward and saw the startled enemy, eight of them, pour from their tents. He observed them taking up their weapons and quickly mounting their horses. By this time, Leonardo's small company of three was in view, and Giancarlo watched with satisfaction as, according to plan, they slowed down. The enemy began a countercharge, and Giancarlo's son led his men back in retreat. It was at this point that Giancarlo's force on one side, and Ruggiero's on the other, advanced toward the enemy, rapidly bearing down on them from the right and left. Leonardo's force now turned around, and the trapped men had no where to go except toward the fortress itself, where a fourth group of fighters appeared from behind the stockade. The trapped combatants tried to break out of the snare, and four of them were quickly cut down. A fifth was slaughtered before three others managed to extricate themselves from the melee, throw up their hands, and plead for mercy. Giancarlo's loud voice was heard above the battle, "Hold off! They may be useful to us later."

        Unfortunately, Giancarlo didn't know there was a second group of Giabaldies. They were just now escaping through the woods and heading toward Carina and Donato. 

        While his men tied up the three who were spared, Giancarlo saw five men approaching from the fortress, including his old friend, Tiberio. He sheathed his sword and walked toward them.

        "Aha, my trusted friend, Giancarlo. You couldn't have picked a better time to visit.  I am indebted to you."

        "Tiberio, you dog.  It's good to see you."  The two hugged each other warmly. "I will never forget how you risked your life to save mine near Pavia."

        "Welcome to my abode, mio amico. Humble as it is, it is yours as long as you wish.  One question only. My Carina, is she with you or at your residence?"

         "A brave girl, your daughter. Not to worry, Tiberio, she is hidden from danger with my most trusted fighter, Donato. Let us go to them now."

         On hearing the shouts and screams of battle in the distance, Donato and Carina had remained hidden in tall underbrush. Donato had to restrain Carina from the fray, though now that there was quiet, they were both anxious to rejoin the others. However, they moved their horses back at the sound of swift riders coming in their direction. Unfortunately, Carina's horse neighed as they approached, giving away their position. The four horsemen slowed and came closer. Carina could tell by their voices they were Giabaldies.  Quietly, she and Donato withdrew as far as they could away from the clearing. Crouching in the tall grass, they hoped the enemy would pass them by.

        The four horsemen separated, and Carina saw them cautiously approaching their concealed position from two sides. Donato told her on signal to mount, draw her sword, and follow him to break out of the trap. Together they moved quickly, jumping on their horses. As they broke away from the enemy, Donato struck one of their attackers a mortal blow. Hurriedly, they goaded the horses on, but the yells and the galloping of the three enemy horsemen came ever closer. Carina's steed was the slower, and though Donato urged her to speed up there was nothing she could do to make her horse go faster. Finally, in desperation, lest she be captured, Donato was forced to turn and face them.

He yelled to Carina to escape behind him, but instead, she drew alongside and together they faced the three Giabaldies. Carina screamed as Donato took a blow to the head and went down. Now she faced her attackers alone. She wielded her sword skillfully, keeping them at bay. Spinning her horse around, she realized they wanted her alive rather than dead. One of the three had already circled behind her when she heard the gallop of more horses. She screamed, and three riders came into view.

        She heard Uberto's loud cry as he and his friends charged her enemies, who on seeing armed horsemen, quickly retreated along a narrow forest trail. She dismounted, and dropping her sword, knelt beside Donato. Blood dripped from a gash on his head. She tore off the arm of her tunic and bandaged him.  She tried to make him as comfortable as possible, and was relieved to see him open his eyes.  

        Uberto returned from the chase, dismounted, and stood by Carina as she rose from attending to Donato. Realizing the danger was over, she turned to Uberto and embraced him. She laid her head on his shoulder, still trembling from her near capture. Uberto seemed to understand her agitation and held her close. Raising her eyes to look into his, she was moved by the gentleness she saw there. They heard the sound of more riders approaching. Carina picked up her sword, resolving if necessary to fight to the death alongside Uberto. Instead of the enemy, however, her father and Giancarlo appeared from behind the trees. 

        Giancarlo quickly took in the scene before him, with Carina standing next to Uberto. He took a long look at the young man and realized a bond had formed between the two of them. Not only was he young, but handsome and confident as well, and instantly he hated him for his closeness to Carina. He watched as Carina's father took her in his arms, raising his eyes to heaven in thanks for her safety.

Uberto's two friends returned, and Giancarlo went to his knight, Donato, and knelt beside him. Seeing he was awake, he spoke words of encouragement. Then standing up, he faced Uberto. With a graciousness he didn't feel, he thanked him for risking his life to save Carina.

        "It was nothing," said Uberto. "When we came upon them they ran."

        Giancarlo was impressed the young man did not exaggerate his role and realized he had an inner courage which needed no aggrandizement.  

        "Still, it was most fortunate you and your friends came when you did and did not hesitate to advance on the enemy."

        "No true knight would, sire."

        He was right, of course, thought Giancarlo, who had seen enough of life to know there is often much more bravery in words than in actions. 

Thank you for all your votes. Really appreciate you guys.   : )  : )