Swordplay, absolution, and her decision?

They had never fought against each other before, but Uberto had little doubt he could easily get the best of his friend. He had seen him fight when they were involved in skirmishes, and although Wotano was bigger and possibly stronger, he did not have his swiftness and dexterity. After putting on the leather armor the two faced each other awaiting Tiberio's signal. Once it was given Uberto wasted no time beginning. He knew it was far better to attack than to defend. However, in deference to his friend, he did not move quickly and his thrust was easily avoided. Wotano followed with an attack of his own which if successful would have opened up Uberto's side. Uberto easily dodged it.

         "Stop," yelled Tiberio. Surprised, they turned to face him.

        "This is not a battle," said Tiberio angrily. "It is a minuet. A dance to fake a fight so no one gets hurt. You two are friends, I know that. The Saracens could care less. They will mow you down and then take the women and children. We all know you are faking it. If you wish to be knights you will fight like knights. Now, start over again and I don't want to see either of you holding back."

        The signal to start was again given and Uberto sprang into action. This time he charged at Wotano as if he were the hated Muslim enemy. Wotano backed up, stopped, and parried the attack. But Uberto's initial attack was a ruse, a set up for a thrust to the heart. Wotano saw it coming but wasn't fast enough to dodge or move his shield in time. He fell back but kept his balance as the blow fell. It would have been a mortal wound. Uberto pressed on but with care. Had it been a real sword, his enemy would either have fallen or would have rushed at him before collapsing from internal bleeding. Wotano had not conceded, and Tiberio had not yelled for them to stop.

        Uberto advanced again, sword held high with his shield before him. Wotano tried a jab which Uberto brushed off with his buckler, and then with precipitate speed Uberto swung his weapon hard onto Wotano's thigh. Had it been a real sword his leg would likely have been broken and hanging useless from his body. Despite his heavy leather armor Wotano cried out and fell to the ground.

        "Stop," said Tiberio.

        Uberto went to Wotano and helped him get up. Wotano limped forward one step and stopped, bending over to hold his thigh. He was in considerable pain.

        "I'm sorry," said Uberto .

        Wotano managed a weak smile.

        Tiberio came over to them and asked Wotano, "can you walk on it?"

        "I don't know."

         Tiberio bent down to feel Wotano's leg. He used both hands to check for broken bones. "Your leg seems alright. You need to protect yourself better." Then he left them and in a loud voice he spoke  to the others. "You have witnessed a good battle, though one-sided. Tell me how you would have countered such an attack." He looked over the group and saw that no answers were forthcoming. Then a dark hand was raised and the slender man they had nicknamed "Coco" spoke. In broken Latin he said, "I dodge the charge and cut him when he move."

        "Say that again," said Tiberio, who like the rest of them had trouble understanding.

        "I dodge him and make my sword cut him."

        "Now I understand what you are saying." Speaking to all of them he said, "Yes, if you are quick enough you can counter an attack by dodging it. Another way of avoiding a cut is to stretch out your shield behind a stiffened arm to clash with his shield to slow down his momentum. You must be careful in doing this and remain ready with your sword to parry a blow. Once his strike is neutralized you will usually have your best opportunity to land one of your own." Speaking to Coco he said, "Another day, Coco, you will have a chance to show what you can do against Uberto."

Chapter Eleven

         Every second or third weekend, Father Carlo, accompanied by a few guards, came from Nice to say mass and hear confessions. Usually, he would arrive late Saturday afternoon, stay overnight, and return to Nice the next day. On this Saturday, he came early, much earlier than usual, for he knew he would have much work to do. Although there was no church yet at the stronghold, only a small chapel, the bells of the chapel rang out to announce his arrival.

        Father Carlo arranged himself on the comfortable chair facing the kneeler where the penitents would ask for forgiveness. Father Carlo knew, from his experience in Nice, he would be there a long time. The dread of the Saracen invasion had stricken the whole populace, and they sought remission for their sins.

        Father Carlo was not old and not young. Early on in his ministry he had tended toward self righteousness, but he had long since mellowed. He saw human nature for what it was, with its ebullience and its failures, and he could sympathize with the people he served. He had been their priest and confessor for many years and he knew the majority of them. There was no box and screen separating the priest from the penitent. The Church believed the confessor should know his people. Father Carlo looked up. Already a line had formed just outside the door of the chapel. "Come in," he said.

         Carina did not go to confession often. However, like the others, she did not want to miss the opportunity this time. Today, she was more apprehensive than usual as she thought about her failings. The usual ones were of no major concern, for she had confessed them many times before.

Her occasional temper and impertinence. Her forgetfulness of her prayers, her tongue which sometimes said things she knew were uncharitable. These things didn't bother her. It was the new sin that she hesitated to tell Father Carlo. What would he say when he heard of it? Would he chastise her and give her a huge penance? Would he think less of her? She waited in line outside the chapel, head bowed.

        Finally it was her turn. The lady before her had been long and she had heard Father Carlo's voice raised louder than usual. Carina couldn't tell what he was saying but the tone of his voice led her to believe the woman must have had major sins. She opened the door with trepidation and approached the kneeler.

        "Ah, Carina. God bless you my child."

        "Father, I have sinned." She hesitated.

        "Yes, child, go on."

        Forgetting her other sins she blurted out, "Father, I have desired a man. Two men." She dropped her head in shame.

        "How old are you, Carina?"

        "Almost eighteen."

       "Almost eighteen and still not married." He shook his head. "The passion of a man and a woman is a good thing in marriage. Outside marriage it leads to illegitimate children, often with no man to provide for them. You must resist temptation and realize when it is likely to come. It is best if you marry soon, Carina. He laid one hand on her shoulder and pronounced the words of absolution. "In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, I forgive you your sins."

        After he gave her a penance, Carina rose from the kneeler and began walking toward the door. She felt uplifted in spirit. She heard Father Carlo's voice again and turned to face him.

        "Carina, please make up your mind about which one."

        She smiled at him. "I think I have, Father." 

Author note:    The marriage of girls in Roman, biblical, and Medieval times was usually at a very young age. As for early marriage, Mary, mother of Jesus, is estimated to have been 14 or 15 at her marriage, and Juliet, of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, was only 13. 

Confession:  Considered a sacrament by the church of the time, and still today.

Hope you are enjoying. Thank you so much for voting.  I am liking you guys.  :) :)