She would be her own person

Chapter Seventeen

        Late that evening, Giancarlo and Tiberio sat together in his chamber and discussed the battle. They talked about what had gone well, as well as how the defense of the fortress might be improved. Tiberio scribbled down some notes for himself to go over with his knights, archers and pikemen. He and Giancarlo agreed the mock attack had been successful in augmenting the readiness of the manor.

        They began talking about Carina. Tiberio did not understand why she had acted as she did. He was well aware of her stubborn nature. Giancarlo, who was no longer upset at Uberto, saw Carina's actions differently. He believed for some unknown reason she needed to prove to herself she was just as good as or even better than a man. He thought she felt to be feminine was to be weak.

        Tiberio considered Giancarlo's assessment of Carina. He personally conjectured it was her mother's early death and Carina's growing up with him and her brothers as a likely reason for her dauntless spirit. Giancarlo waved off further discussion with his hand, saying it didn't matter to him. He told Tiberio Carina was the special woman he had long sought, and once married he knew she would take pride in the things of a woman.

Momentarily, Giancarlo had a far away look in his eyes. Then he said earnestly to Tiberio, "Dear friend, I cannot wait much longer for our marriage. I am going tomorrow to Nice to see if there is any news regarding the siege of Toulouse. I cannot wait forever. Even if Toulouse is taken there will be a wedding. Your daughter will be safer with me in Nice than anywhere else. I hope it does not come to it, Tiberio, but if the Muslims overrun Francia I would ask you to join us in Nice. There, the strong walls of Nice will afford us the best chance to withstand and defeat the enemy."

        "My God, I hope it does not come to that," said Tiberio. "To leave my domain and have them burn it  to the ground." He lowered his head, partially covering his face with one hand. Then he lifted his head and looking at Giancarlo said, "Thank you for offering the protection of your city walls. I would only leave for Nice if the worst came to pass. But yes, take my daughter to wed. I was hoping the wedding would be after the harvest and after the Saracens are defeated. Then most of my people would come to celebrate it with you and Carina."

        "I am still hopeful of receiving news of their defeat," said Giancarlo, who rising from his chair placed his hand on Tiberio's shoulder. "Tomorrow I leave early with some of my men. We will find out what is going on in Toulouse. Regardless of what is happening there I will talk with Bishop Gregorio to begin making arrangements for a wedding in the cathedral. The date will be set for a time soon after the harvest. I am looking forward to that day, and knowing you and all your family will celebrate it with us will add immensely to our joy."

        Carina woke the next morning still painfully aware of her body. Dora was there, good Dora, asleep on the makeshift bed someone had brought into the room. Carina didn't know it, but Giancarlo had already stopped by, having tapped lightly on the door and then entering. In the morning dawn, he had been glad to see that her color was good before he left for Nice.

        In the next few days normalcy returned to the manor. Carina recovered well, people went about their work, and though Giancarlo had left instructions for his fighting men, they did not require any major changes on their part. Tiberio told Carina, of course, of what Giancarlo had said about his making plans for their wedding. Carina was surprised it would be so soon. She and everyone else were aware Giancarlo had left to try to find out about the siege of Toulouse. The continued lack of news about the army of Islam was again making everyone tense.

        On the fifth day, toward evening, Count Giancarlo returned, preceded by his advance guard. The guard did not wait to announce the news. The Saracens had been defeated in a resounding victory. Soon Giancarlo's main force appeared, and even before they dismounted, the excited people pressed on every side for more information.

        Giancarlo raised his hand, and in a loud voice told them, "Toulouse has been saved and the huge Saracen army has been destroyed."

        A great cheer went up from the crowd. Giancarlo and his men dismounted at the stable and crossing the courtyard entered the stronghold. Those who had traveled with Giancarlo went to the hall for food, but Giancarlo himself was intent on finding Carina. Not seeing her in the hall, he went to her weaving room.

        Carina had heard the commotion in the courtyard. She was at the moment just finishing a fine vest for Giancarlo. She put it aside hastily, hiding it among the other garments when she heard footsteps coming her way.

         Giancarlo pulled open the door and for a moment stood in the doorway, gazing at the loveliness of his future wife. "Ah, my darling," he spoke. "Absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder. You are so beautiful. Are you fully recovered?" He went to her and they embraced.

        "I am fine now. The news is good? I heard the clamor in the courtyard."

        "Very good. Duke Odo returned to Toulouse with a huge army. He surprised the besieging army of  Al-Samh, killing him and most of his men and sending the rest fleeing back to Iberia."  

        "Ah,  that is wonderful to hear," she said, standing in front of him.

        "There is even better," he added, bending slightly to kiss her. "The people of Nice are waiting to welcome you for our wedding celebration, three weeks from yesterday."

        "Three weeks only!" said Carina with trepidation. "So little time to learn to act like a countess."

        "You need only act like yourself and they will love you. You need only wave and smile and they will adore you."

        "But when I am cross or clumsy will they not see that also? Will there never be a time in Nice when I can just be me, without everyone remarking about it?"

        Giancarlo put his arm around Carina's waist, drawing her close. "When you are alone with me you can be Carina, the lovely, sweet, charming, brave and sometimes perverse creature who has captured my heart."

        "It is not enough," she declared, turning out of his encircling arm. "I will not be always on stage before the people of Nice. "I will be me, with the good and the bad," she declared, meeting his eyes.

        "And I will be there at your side, though God knows, sometimes I may find myself laughing at you," he said, an amused smile already breaking out on his face.

        "So be it then. Just so you know."

        "You will be a breath of fresh air to my people—nay, our people, just as you are already to me. All I require is your faithfulness to me, and I will in turn be faithful to you. Anything you wish within my power to give will be yours."

        Carina held his hand and looked out the window toward the land surrounding the fortress. She didn't tell Giancarlo, but she knew there would still be one thing, one person, whom she could not have. With resignation, she turned to Giancarlo and was gathered in his arms.   

Dear readers, we are approaching the most dramatic part of the novel. Those cheering for Uberto will have new hope.

      Thank you for your reads, comments and votes.