Chapter 29

I got out of my car, watching as Conner talked to Chase. My mate and former mate. Two of them in one place. I'm so scared right now.

I grabbed a pair of sunglasses from my car and put them on. I decided not to go and join Conner. Instead, I watched Ash who was struggling to get Eve under control. She hadn't eaten in hours. I watched as she called her powers.

I chuckled. He's in for it now.

Conner talked to Chase but I noticed Chase sending a glance or two my way. I had to go there, I knew, I couldn't leave Conner to address them himself. I was Luna.

So, I swallowed my pride and a spoon full of fear and marched over to them, removing my sunglasses and placing them in my hair.

My blue hair that was in a high pony tail, swung side to side as I walked. I focused more on it than the situation I was walking in.

I stood next to Conner and he wrapped an arm around me.

"This is my mate Gemma. Gemma, this is Alpha Chase and Luna Riley." Conner introduced.

I saw the way Chase's eyes widened slightly. I saw the way his eyes roamed over my face to prove I was real and I saw the way Riley watched the interaction.

Riley... why do I know that name? I've heard it before I just couldn't put my finger on it. I decided to just let it go.

"Hi." I said with a smile and a wave.

I had to keep up appearances after all. Chase seemed out of it. Luckily Riley was there to the rescue.

"Hello. It's nice to meet you." She said smiling brightly.

I smiled too but mine had an edge in it. I hate her. She caught my smile and gave me an edgy one herself. I guess the feeling was mutual.

"Where will we be staying?" I asked sweetly.

"I'll bring someone over to show you." Riley answered.

"Thank you." I said.

"No problem." She answered.

I don't know if the men beside us could feel the hate rolling off of us despite the sweet tones of our voices.

TJ, who is now the back Beta, came to show us where we were staying. It was a mansion somewhere at the edge of the pack.

When we arrived, I took off into the woods because I had a lot to think about. I mind linked the others telling them I'd be back as soon as I could. Conner wasn't happy about it but he sensed I needed some space and he gave it to me.

He really is the best mate a girl could ask for.

Chase's POV
She's back.

At first, I didn't believe it. I didn't want to. Her smell was mixed with his, Alpha Conner. I thought maybe they came into contact and he knew where I could find her but they were mates.

We were supposed to be mates! Her and I!

She looked so beautiful and had changed so much. She talks and I would love sit and hear her chatter all day. She was stronger, more confident, everything a Luna should be.

Her hair, it was long and blue but I loved it, it complemented her beautiful tan skin. Her body was no longer thin and malnourished, she had muscles and curves in all the right places.

She didn't like Riley and that made something stir in my chest. Hope. She could still have feelings for me, after all, I had not fully accepted her rejection.

Her being here was stirring some bad memories but her presence made it worth it.

"Chase?" Riley asked coming into my office where I had hidden out.

"Yes?" I asked.

"She's the one isn't she? The one no one will talk about?" She asked with a tilt of her head.

I sighed but nodded nonetheless. Riley and I were married yes, but we were more friends than husband and wife. We slept in separate rooms and had not had sex. I think of her as my best friend and I'm positive she thinks the same.

She had lost her mate and I had lost mine. That was what made our friendship and our loyalty to each other is what holds it together.

But my mate is back. I'm not sure how to tell her that.

"So, she's the one who got away, the one who made you change this pack?" She asked lying across the couch.

She lifted her feet up and her head hung off the end of the couch. This was a normal thing for her to do so I just ignored it and continued my paper work.

"Yes." I said.

"I would love to have that power." She said. "Making a whole pack change because of my departure. I wonder if I'll ever be that loved." She said.

I sighed and put my papers down.

"You are that loved Riley. I wouldn't be able to run this pack without you. You literally hold me together." I said.

"Yeah I know. But when I die, I want something to change for the better for my sacrifice you know. How would you like to be buried?" She asked.

I frowned as I thought about it. How did our conversation get this dark anyway?

"I don't know. I've not thought that far ahead." I said.

"You should. I have. I'd like to be burnt and have my ashes blown in the wind. My spirit fly across the earth until the goddess is ready to receive me." She said.

I got up and sat on the couch across her.

"Come here." I said patting the spot next to me.

She got up and sat there. I pulled her to my side and held her.

"I know we are going to war and all but you shouldn't think like that. If you died, I would be lost without you. You're my best friend Riley and I love you. Even when you steal my meat. " I said.

Riley laughed. "I don't steal it, it just disappears from the fridge." She said.

I rolled my eyes.

"So this Gemma. Tell me more about her." She asked.

I groaned. "She was my mate." I said.

Riley sat up straighter. "Really? Spill more tea my friend." She encouraged.

And so I did.

******************
There. Another update.

Question, what do you think will happen next?

I mean, the war, Chase, Conner, Gemma....

Will she tell him they were mates? I hope so. The author better give us details. 😂😂😑😑

I'm going to give you another chapter very soon. Be prepared.