Chapter 18

I woke up to an unbearable heat in my centre. I whimpered. The heat slowly and painfully spread across my body. I was gasping for breath.

When the heat consumed my whole body, it disappeared completely. What?

Then it came back like a train, hitting my whole body. I let out a scream. What is this? I gasped for breath as the heat burned more.

I looked down to see my skin had a faint red glow. What the hell? I heard someone speaking to me but it was like I was underwater. I couldn't hear anything and I was in too much pain to decipher the words.

I felt something ice cold touch my arm. A hiss was heard as the cold object touched my skin. I sighed at the small relief.

Then all the heat disappeared.

"Gemma? Gemma, babe, speak to me." I heard Conner say.

"It hurts." Was all I could say.

"It's okay. I'll help you wait here." He said before going away.

The ice cold thing on my arm disappeared and I whimpered.

Then the heat came back. This time with even more vengeance if that's possible. I screamed into the pillow. This heat was too much. Wait heat? I'm in heat?

Oh goddess. I never knew it was this bad. I heard about it but I didn't know it hurts like hell. The pain disappeared. Oh no.

I knew when it came back it would be worse. I stated crying. I didn't want this.

"It's okay babe. I'm right here." I heard Conner say before he picked me up.

His body was ice cold. I loved it. I snuggled more into his side knowing when the next wave came I would need his -

I screamed as the next wave hit me. "Make it stop. Make it stop." I cried. I couldn't take it anymore.

"I can't babe. There's only one way to do that and I know your not ready." Conner said.

As much as he was right I couldn't help but curse him to the seven pits of hell for all this agony.

He set me in his tub that was full of... ice cubs? When did he get those? I sighed happily as the cold surrounded my body.

"Better?" He asked.

I nodded. " Much better. "

He nodded. "Conner? How long is this going to last?" I asked scared. I did not want this.

"Three days at most." He said. I nodded. I could survive.

************

I couldn't survive this much longer. I don't know how long it has been but I know Conner changes my ice every time it melts.

He's been so nice and kind and patient. I don't deserve him. I sighed, slipping into the new change of ice. My skin was all wrinkly but that's a small price to pay for less pain.

I closed my eyes and went to sleep. When I woke up, I was shivering. I got out of the ice tub and turned on the shower to hot.

I stepped in and sighed as my body warmed. I got out of the shower. Conner was nowhere in sight. I walked into the closet and looked for clothes.

I wore a black hoodie with the words hi, i'm awkward, black leggings and a black beanie over my hair which had grown these past few months. It reach a little way under my boobs.

I walked down the stairs to the kitchen, grabbing a tin of nutella and a spoon

I walked down the stairs to the kitchen, grabbing a tin of nutella and a spoon. I ate the nutella as I walked around the pack house. No one was here.

I wondered in the house until I can be to a set of double doors. I opened them to reveal an office. It was Conner's.

I walked over to the desk which has piles of work. I was bored so I decided to do Conner's paperwork. Most of it was for the Luna ceremony, packs seeking alliances and some bills.

I had done work like this before so it wasn't that hard. I sat on his chair, pushed my hair behind my ears, cracked my knuckles and rolled my head.

Here we go.

I put another letter asking Conner to be betrothed to some bitch from another pack in exchange for more land and power. What was this? The middle ages.

There were so many letters like this but what hit me hard was the letter Conner wrote in acceptance to one of these things.

It was dated one month ago, when we were still dating. It took a lot in me not to cry. If been doing that a lot since I started speaking. Winter was hurt. She retreated to the back of my mind cutting off our link but I could still feel her hurt.

I held the letter in my hands and walked to our room - correction - Conner's room. I crawled under the covers and covered my head trying to shut the world out.

"Gemma?" I heard his voice call me. Winter and I had come to an agreement.

His name was not to be spoken. Neither in my mind nor out of my mouth. I removed the cover from my head and sat up. He was standing on the edge of the bed.

He smiled at me. I didn't smile back. "What's this?" I asked throwing the letter to his chest.

He caught it, read through it, looked at me, back at the paper, at me again then never made eye contact after that.

"It says you accepted a letter to be betrothed to a girl named Riley? It's dated one month ago when we were still dating. Am I not good enough for you? Do you not like me because of my past?" I asked my voice breaking.

He opened his mouth and closed it. "Speak!" I shouted.

"Look Gemma it's not like that. I can explain." He said.

"Okay explain." I said.

He sighed and sat on the bed. "It's a long story but I can't tell it to you now." He explained.

I got up. "Call me when your ready to explain." I said walking out.

He didn't even call after me! He didn't even come for me! What's wrong with me? Everyone in my life seems to be disappearing.

I couldn't hold back my tears anymore. I let them flow as I run into the woods and shifted. I let out a mournful howl.

I run until I reached the same cliff I found on that day I faced my fears for him. I dropped down and put my head on my paws. I closed my eyes and willed for sleep to take me away from this pain.

***********************

A cliffhanger for my dear readers. Your welcome. 😁😁😁😁