Chapter 22

I run across the frozen lake slipping and falling but determined to get Gemma. I went over to the hole she created and used my eyes to peer through the water. I removed my shirt, ready to jump in when I heard pounding on ice a few meters ahead.

I quickly skidded across the ice and peered down to see Gemma banging on the ice. I raised my fist and hit the ice. I hit and hit and hit but it didn't crack.

I saw Gemma shift and try to use Winter's energy to break the glass. I continued hitting the ice, my knuckles spitting. My breath was coming in hard pants.

Gemma shifted back and continued trying to break through the glass. Her efforts were weaker now and I knew I didn't have much time. I hit even harder.

Blood sputtered over the ice and I still continued to hit. The ice cracked. Gemma stopped hitting and her eyes were fluttering shut.

"No! Gemma, babe, hold on! Hold on please! For me! Baby please!" I screamed continuing to hit the ice.

Gemma tapped her finger on the ice and I stopped. She placed her palm flat on the ice and I used mine to cover hers. She gave me a small smile.

My breath was coming faster. My eyes stung.

"No Gemma. Please no." I cried trying to break the ice once more.

I saw Gemma eyes but and her body begun to sink. I panicked. Shifting, I used Axle's strength to break the ice. No matter how much I hit it and stomped it refused to give.

I transformed back and I felt for our mate bond. It was still there. Faint but there. I continued trying to break the ice.

But the bond started getting even weaker until I felt the last effort Gemma took to stay alive. The bond disappeared and I was left with a void in my soul.

I roared in agony as I felt half my soul leave me. My Gemma. I couldn't save her. She's gone. I cried. My cries of agony being heard over the lake.

"Gemma! Conner where's Gemma?! Conner!" Eve was shouting at me tears in her eyes.

I became angry. "She's gone Eve! She's fucking gone! You can feel it in the pack bond! She's gone..." I whispered the last part my voice cracking.

Caroline broke down and fell on the ice. She used her powers to try to melt it away, her body becoming a flame. The ice refused to give.

Eve called lightning and tried to break through the ice but it didn't even crack.

"It's spelled! The fucking ice is spelled! I can't melt it!" Caroline cried.

Jace turned his skin into metal and wrapped his arms around his mate. He was crying too. The first time I had seen him do.

Ash moved forward and also wrapped his arms around her, his body absorbing her lightning. He was crying like us all. Eve and Ash fell to the ground holding each other.

Then I heard a growl. I looked up to see a rogue. He was limping but making his way to us. It was all their fault! Gemma's gone because of them! My eyes burned gold.

I growled low in my throat and shifted. Unlike my other shifts, this one was painful. My claws came out of my fingers, my body increased in height and size.

My snout came out and my ears became longer. My legs bent and claws extended from my feet. Fur sprouted from my body and I stood up.

Lycan. I was a lycan. I knew lycan blood run in my family from early generations but I didn't know it was possible to awaken the gene.

I was huge, the size of my wolf but on two feet. I growled at the rogue who didn't seem so sure about his plan to attack us. Too late.

I called shadows from the forest and they wrapped themselves around him like a snake. He whimpered as they raised him over the ground, exposing him.

I raced forward and I clawed at his belly. His guts spilled out and onto the ice. I grinned, the smell of blood putting me into a frenzy. I continued clawing at him until he was completely unrecognizable.

I saw another rogue try to escape but she kept sliding on the ice. I made the shadows create a path from me to her over the ice. I raced forward as my shadows wrapped around her pathetic little neck.

I clawed at her face and tore her body in two. The smell of blood exciting me.

"Conner stop!" I turned and looked down at Jace. " Gemma wouldn't want you to do this! " he shouted.

I growled. "What do would know about her? She's my mate. She's gone now. " I said my voice sounding something like a growl.

"I know she would want you to stop right now. Your not yourself." He shouted.

I growled at him.

"He's right Conner. Come back. Shift back." I turned my gaze to Ash. He stood a few feet away from Jace.

I saw in the distance as Caroline was focused on combing her powers with Eve to melt the ice. I growled. They had no right to disturb where my beloved rests.

I took a step in their direction before I heard two growls. Ash and Jace were glaring at me.

"Tell those bitches to stop tampering with the resting place of my mate." I said to them.

Their growls got louder.

"You have no right to call them that. You may be my friend but insult my mate one more time and I'll kill you." Ash snarled.

"I'll do the same Conner. You may be alpha but your being a big dick." Jace said.,

I laughed. My laughter thundered and boomed across the empty space.

"Try not to be a dick when you lose your mate. Perhaps... well see how you really behave when her blood is sputtered over the ice." I said turning my gaze to Caroline.

Jace growled loudly and blocked my path. I growled at him too.

"I'm done." He said his skin turning to metal.

"So am I." Ash said.

"Well let's battle boys." I said getting my shadows ready.

*********************
Hey. So Conner's a lycan. Didn't see that coming ya know.

Let's see what else is happening.

To all readers I have a question, what do you think is going to happen next?