Chapter 10

This is just a bit of background with ___'s past with Sasuke and Naruto. I know I've mentioned it a few times, but I haven't really gone into it... until now

~~Multiple Flashbacks~~

"Miss Mikoto."

She gasped in surprise and looked at me. "Oh, ___! What are you doing here?"

"Mr. Fugaku asked me to look after you and the boys because of the sudden death of the fourth Hokage. I thought it would be best if just stayed with you, instead of hiding in the shadow," you said in a formal tone, which was completely unnatural to you.

"Wasn't he your sensei?" Eight-year-old Itachi said.

"That doesn't matter," You said. "I'm just here for the missing." You turned and looked through the glass, where Naruto laid in the nursery, surrounded by other crying babies. Mikoto sighed. "We wanted to take him in, but for some reason, they won't let us."

You sighed. "That's... unfortunate."

Itachi stared up at you, staring at Naruto. "Are you alright, ____?"

You nodded. "Fine, but that doesn't matter."

~~~~

You sat in the hospital's nursery, rocking Naruto and humming softly to him.

"You're good with kids," Kakashi said, after suddenly appearing at the doorway.

You nodded.

He sighed. "The only time you leave the house is for missions and to look after Naruto. I'm worried about you."

"I'm fine, Kakashi. I've been taking fewer missions in order to look after Naruto."

Kakashi didn't respond. He pulled a chair over and sat next to you, wrapping an arm around your shoulder.

~~~~

After coming back from a short mission, you showered and headed over to Naruto's apartment. You could hear his screams through the door. You sighed and opened the door, going inside. Mikoto and Itachi were there. Naruto and Sasuke laid together in a large crib, screaming their heads off.

"I see your brotherly love doesn't always calm the crying child," you teased Itachi before looking into the crib. "Hey boys," You said with a smile. Once he saw you, Naruto reached for you, still crying his lungs out. You lifted Naruto into one arm and smiled at him.

"Hey there, Naru. Don't cry," you said while rocking him. Once he calmed, you lifted Sasuke up into your other arm. He started laughing and blowing spit bubbles, then he reached for Itachi. You sighed.

"I guess Naruto's crying upset him," Itachi said.

You nodded.

"You're so good with them, ___," Mikoto complimented.

~~~~~~

Once Naruto got older, old enough to start remembering things, you were told to stop coming around. Lord third would have others look after him.

On your way back from a mission, you saw Naruto walking alone. You leaped on top of a building and watched him. He looked so sad. He glanced at Ichiraku ramen shop, then at the few coins in his hand, and sighed before going home.