Chapter 15

(n/n) = your nickname.

Once I laid my eyes on him. my heart stopped for a moment. A lump formed in the back of my throat, that I couldn't swallow down, and I blinked back tears. That face... the hair... the scars...

"It can't be?" I mumbled before I slowly reached my hand out and put my hand on his cheek. I gently caressed his scars and stared up at him. "This is some sick joke right, Tobi?"

"It's not," Tobi said- but his voice was deeper, like an older Obito. But it can't be? He's dead... right?

"It's really me, (n/n). I-I'm so sorry-"

I interrupted him by jumping on him and tightly wrapping my arms around his neck. Heavy tears fell from my eyes, and I sobbed. "I-I can't believe it. You're really alive."

Obito hesitated before he hugged me back. "You're... not mad?"

"I told you, this would be the happiest day of my life," I said. "But," I paused.

Then- it hit me. I told Tobi so much and-

"Oh my fucking god," I said before pulling away. "I-I told you- but-." I groaned loudly and covered my face with my hands. "I'm feeling so many emotions right now."

"Tell me about them."

"I'm happy- no fucking ecstatic, but also fucking furious, and- Oh my god, shocked? I told you all that- we KISSED even tho I'm dating Kakashi- well I was before I let- you're ALIVE! You kissed me- you're in the Akatsuki," I stopped rambling and froze. "You have some fucking explaining to do."

Obito sighed and picked up his mask. "I- wasn't expecting this response."

"Would you rather I punch you in the fucking face?"

Obito looked at me in surprise. "I- uh."

I turned away from him. "Let's set up camp and talk."

.......

Obito and I sat together in a small clearing. There was a thick silence between us, and for a while, neither of us dared to speak, until Obito sighed.

"I'm sorry."

I looked up at him and put my hand on my forehead. "My mind is fucked right now."

Obito chuckled. "Honestly, I thought you would hate me."

I shook my head. "No, I'm... kind of hurt. If you're alive, why didn't you come back?"

Obito went to respond, but I interrupted him. "Oh- It's because Rin's dead, right?"

Obito stared at me, speechless. "I know you, remember? It's... always been her," I mumbled before speaking up again. "But why the Akatsuki? How are you alive?"

"After you left, I heard you scream," Obito admitted. "My heart broke, hearing you in so much pain."

"Avoiding the question?"

"I'm getting there." Obito sighed. "Long story short, I woke up in a strange place. Someone healed me and allowed me to stay there until I was strong enough to leave. When I did, I saw," he paused. "I saw what happened to Rin."

"You were alive this entire time?! Do you have any idea how hurt I was?"

"I did," Obito admitted. "I would... watch you when you would visit my grave, when you were on missions," he paused. "Sometimes when you slept."

"Creep."

Obito chuckled. "Anyway, I'm kind of the leader of the Akatsuki. I tell Pain what to do."

"Why?"

"I- I can't say yet."

"Why?"

"I just can't, but- when things go according to plan I can finally be with-" Obito stopped talking. I sighed. "Rin, right? How?"

"Well..." Obito trailed off. I raised an eyebrow.

"Look, there are just some things I need to accomplish for someone. When that happens, things could be the way they were again! Rin, Sensei, Miss Kushina, everyone will be alive again! I could-"

"You could live in a fantasy world, and pretty much have whatever you want? That's what it sounds like to me.

"I-"

"You could be with Rin and become Hokage, but what about me? Kakashi? Minato Sensei? I- That won't be real. It's not like you can just go back in time. Even if you could bring them back, things won't be the same."

Obito looked speechless, completely shocked. I sat on my knees facing Obito.

"So, what would happen in this dream world? Would the pain Kakashi and I have suffered just magically disappear? Would my feelings for you just disappear? Or... would we not exist as we are? You sounded so sure about this a moment ago, so explain it to me. What would happen to us?"

"I-... I don't know," Obito admitted. "I dont know, and honestly, I'm conflicted now. You-" Obito paused as if he was trying to figure out what to say. "We've been paired up for almost two months, and- seeing you again and being with you again... I just feel differently now."

I tilted my head. "I mean! I still love Rin, I always will, but," Obito paused. "Like Tobi- er I said... I was blind back then. I think I'm in love with you now. Even after everything you've been through, everything I've put you through, you're still here by my side, and I haven't gotten punched yet. You've been by my side since we were kids, and I don't ever want you to leave my side again. I- I'm not sure how I can stop the plan that's in motion now, or even if I want to stop it but," Obito paused. "I want you to stay by my side. We can figure it out together."

"Whatever plan you have, I don't want it. I don't want to live in a fake world, Obito. Dont get me wrong, I love every one we've lost, and if Sensei and Miss Kushins live, then Naruto will have the life he deserves, but it won't be real. We've been through so much, and it's made us who we are. The past hurts, so fucking much, but I don't want to erase it. I don't want to live in a fantasy world- especially not if I don't even get to be with you. "

I grabbed Obito's hands and took a deep breath. "I love you, Obito, and I would love to be by your side, but I can't if you're gonna just run away from the past to some fake world where everything is peaches and cream. You can't just erase the current world because you lost someone you love, you've gotta deal with that shit and move on. I had to, Kakashi had to, Rin had to... and you have to too."

Obito squeezed my hands tightly and looked at me. The look in his eyes broke me- honestly. It was like looking at myself in the mirror, like looking at my past self. It was the same look I had when Obito died.

I stared at the same expression I would hate seeing in the mirror every day. The utterly lost and broken look in his eyes were just like mine. 

"H-how?" Obito's voice cracked. "How did you move on? This plan- it was the only thing giving me hope again. Hope that I could be reunited with Rin and everyone else. How can I go on without that hope?"

I shrugged. "Just take it one day at a time- no that's a shitty expression. More like a minute at a time. It hurts and it probably will never stop hurting, but life goes on. You can't just fix all of your problems with a fantasy world. You can't just overlook the past or give up on the present. I'm right here, and," I paused. "They're not. We can move on together."

Obito pulled me to him and wrapped his arms around me tightly. His body shook, and I could tell he was crying.

"Obito," I mumbled.

"Please, don't leave me too," he mumbled. "I-"

"Sssh. It's alright," I said before I started to stroke his hair. "I'm here."