Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Daniel wasn't talking to her... again!

They ate breakfast together, they took the bus together and they were even hanging out in a classroom before school started, and still, not one word. She had stopped trying to talk after a glare from him when they were on the bus.

Rosana flinches slightly in alarm and shifts in her seat, lifting her arms in a fighting position when Daniel suddenly stands up and puts his stuff in his bag. His eyes were on the door so he didn't notice her sudden reaction.

Rosana quickly puts her own books away in a flurry as her heart began to calm down and followed after her brother's rushing form to see him... stop behind the blond girl —Ali— and her friend.

Rosana swallowed down the bitter feeling of following Daniel again; following him like a lost little puppy.

"You must be Daniel's sister, Rosana." Ali smiled and Rosana instantly knew from the warm vibe coming off the girl that it was the reason why her brother likes her, why Johnny still likes her (hopefully not, he had begun to only wear the black headband she gave him; that's a good sign, right?).

"Y-Yes. Hey," she waves lamely.

Rosana wasn't prepared for the hatred that crawled through her veins as she heard Daniel conversing with Ali and the girl Ali introduced as Judy or July something.

Rosana was once again in the background of her brother. Once again known as 'Daniel's sister' and not just Rosana. Once again being overshadowed and not being included. Maybe it was partly her fault seeing as she easily flowed into the role she partook for many years but it was the first time she ever disliked it: disliked not being seen, disliked not being part of what was happening or part of the conversation taking place. Because after all these years, Johnny, Tommy, Dutch, Jimmy, and Bobby made her feel seen, made her feel like her own individual and made her feel part of the group. They didn't completely ignore her (even when they did, they always gave indicators that they were still there if she needed them while Daniel didn't), they made her belong no matter where they were or who they were with.

And she missed it, she missed them.

She didn't want to be a shadow anymore, she realized.

For the first time, she wondered if Daniel was worth giving up being happy because being friends with Johnny made her... happy.

Rosana was clouded by anger last night. She just wanted to kick Johnny off his game when she mentioned Ali. Maybe Johnny still had feelings for Ali —she didn't like the thought of that— but she knew that last night wasn't about Ali; not after Johnny specifically saying that he was looking out for her as her friend and she believed him. She may not like his methods, but last night was for her.

And here they were again: Daniel ignoring her, her ignoring the boys and her being hurt and confused because Daniel was ignoring her and she had to keep her distance from Johnny them to appease Daniel. To make Daniel happy...

What about her happiness?

"We're going to the arcade, you two wanna come?"

Rosana snaps out of her thoughts at Ali poking her shoulder.

"Yeah, sure, sounds great to me."

Rosana bites down on her tongue, hard. There it is again. Daniel making decisions for them without even asking her or even looking to her if she agrees or not.

"There's this new game I want to show you." Ali giggles.

"Really?" Daniel smiles.

Rosana walks into Daniel's back when he stops. She scowls and was about to tell him to watch it when she looked past his shoulder to see what made him stop in his tracks.