Chapter 10

Sonya and Harriet really stayed. They had given up the chance for a better life in a safe haven for Aria. Even though the girl felt guilty that they might die because of her, they assured her that they didn't just do it because of Aria. They also wanted to free children. They didn't want WICKED to torture any more children.

But what worried Aria even more was what Jonas had found out.

***

"Aria! They are still alive," Jonas told her when she came to him to check out Gally. He and she kept talking over the radios.

"Who is still alive?" she asked confused.

"The kids I told you about a few days ago," he explained.

Aria still looked at him confused: "You talk a lot."

"When you went to Lawrence with Adam," he explained to her.

"Wait! The children who fled from WICKED? They survived?" she asked incredulously.

"Yeah. WICKED almost got them yesterday, but apparently they managed to escape Janson.", He nodded.

"I would have liked to see Janson's face when they escaped. That would have been too funny," The girl laughed.

"Aria!" He admonished her. 

"It's okay, Jonas! Shall we send out search parties now? Half of WICKED is after them. We can't risk losing any more people." she tugged her hair. 

"By the way, Adam and I are going to see Lawrence again this evening," She informed him. Jonas just sighed and went back to his radios. The right arm had set up camp a few miles from their old camp and would be staying for another week before moving on.

***

"Vince! Lawrence gave us news," Aria called and ran into the tent. There she paused in surprise. Vince, Harriet, Sonya and Jonas were standing there bent over a map. 

"You are planning something without me? Who knows every grain of sand in the scorch?" Aria said disappointed. 

"We were just wondering in which direction the fled kids from WICKED could flee.", Jonas twitched. 

"We don't know where they have gone. And even if we could circle an area where they could be. Could they still be there. We don't know anything." she said angrily and looked each one in the eye. 

"We know.", Vince sighed. 

"Never mind. Lawrence has news," she said with a grin. 

"And what news?" Urged Harriet curiously. 

"Ava. Ava Paige apparently pretended to have killed herself, but she's still alive. Gally remembers shooting a bullet through her head, but just pretended," she told. 

"I knew it. She would never kill herself." Jonas laughed triumphantly. 

"In addition, WICKED has tightened its wall controls and more and more people are coming to the last city," Aria continued. "And Lawrence has taken on and trained more men and women. They are now around a hundred and fifty," she said. "Also, Gally found a way through the walls into WICKED. I was inside. There are strict rules and curfews. In addition, the first cranks have been brought into the large WICKED building, which means they are close to getting a cure." the girl finished. 

"There is a way through the walls?" Asked Jonas in disbelief. 

"Yeah. Gally found a drainpipe by going into Lawrence's hideout and getting out at a subway station." she shrugged.

"And you went through it? Oh my God! Mary is killing me." Vince looked at her in disbelief. 

"I'm still alive. So everything's fine." she rolled her eyes. 

"Be happy about it.", Vince sighed. 

"And if your great love still hadn't killed you." she giggled. 

"I wouldn't have been so sure about that.", Vince sighed. 

"And stop calling her great love. She's just a friend," he denied Aria's allusion. 

"Just keep thinking. But don't complain to me if you never confessed your love for her." Aria shrugged. 

"Harriet! Sonya! I want to show you something." she said to her two friends, who so far have only followed the conversation. 

She could understand it with Sonya, she was a calm person. 

But Harriet always spoke her mind openly and without hesitation.

***