Chapter 34

"All right. Newt, we're almost there.", Aria yelled at the boy and continued to run forward with Gally.

"Just leave me." Newt gasped. Aria flinched when gunfire rang out. She looked up as a berg flew overhead.

"Okay. That's them.", Thomas called and knelt next to Newt.

"It's them. We gotta go.", Aria said and looked at Gally.

"Just leave without me." Newt muttered. "You should just..." Newt started, coughing. Black veins showed on his face. Aria looked at him in horror.

"Minho. You gotta run ahead, grab the serum, and get back to us as soon as you can.", Said Thomas and looked at the Asian.

"Minho, go." Said Aria.

"He's right. I can cover.", Gally nodded.

"Thank you. Thank you, Minho." Newt gasped.

"Hey, you just hang on. You hear me?" Minho sighed.

Minho got up and ran to Gally. "Go, Minho, go.", Aria heard Gally scream as the two of them disappeared.

"Okay, they're through.", Aria sighed and looked around. With slow steps she moved away from the two of them and looked around to see if someone was nearby who could shoot the three of them.

"No, just take it.", Aria heard Newt scream. She turned and ran back to the two of them. "Please. Please, Tommy, please." Newt gasped.

"All right. We gotta go." Shouted the girl.

"All right. I need you to give me everything you got. You, Aria and me, right now. Let's go. You ready? Come on, ready.", Said Thomas and pulled Newt up with the help of Aria. Together the three ran through the battlefield. Shots rang past them. Aria supported Newt with the help of Thomas and together they made it through a broken pane into a subway station. Aria gasped under Newt's weight. She bravely ran on with Thomas beside her.

"We're almost there, Newt. Stay with me, come on." Thomas gasped as Newt collapsed to the floor.

"Newt, no, no. Hey!" Aria shouted desperately.

"Come on." Thomas gasped and took Newt's arms and dragged him a few meters further with Aria when the two collapsed under his weight.

"Thomas, can you hear me?", Teresa's voice came from the speakers.

"I need you to listen to me! I know you have no reason to trust me, but I need you to come back.", Aria got up and looked around carefully. Teresa continued. 

"Thomas, you can save Newt. There's still time for him. There's a reason Brenda isn't sick anymore. It's your blood. Do you understand? She isn't sick, because you cured her.", Aria reached around her neck and felt the necklace Mary gave her a few months ago. It was the same cure that Mary gave Brenda.

"She doesn't have to be the only one. All you have to do is come back. And this will all finally be over. Please. Just come back to me. I know you'd do the right...", the speakers went off.

Aria turned to Thomas, who was looking at her. "We have to give this Newt," she said, pointing to the chain with the small vial on it.

"Why? What's this?" Said the brown-haired man.

 "The same cure Mary gave Brenda," Aria whispered. The girl looked again at Thomas, who was watching the girl, and tore the necklace from her neck.

 "How do we have to give it to him?" Asked Thomas, kneeling down next to the girl.

 "It has to get into his bloodstream," said Aria. 

"Drink?", Thomas asked again, causing Aria to look up briefly and then nodding thoughtfully, "Could work!" The two were so absorbed in their conversation that they did not notice how Newt straightened up and looked at his friends hungrily. Only when a gurgle came from his mouth did Aria look up and into the black, greedy eyes of the blond-haired man. "Thomas?" She whispered, not looking away from Newt.

Thomas got up and walked slowly towards Newt. Newt watched his every step and charged. Aria gave a short scream when Thomas landed on his back on the floor and Newt lay on top of him. 

The girl got up and ran towards them. With tears she knelt in front of Newt, "Newt. We have the cure here. Everything will be fine." 

Newt didn't react and Aria leaned forward to him as he threw himself on top of her and nailed her to the floor. "Newt!" Aria gasped. While Aria tried to prevent Newt from strangling her, she also tried to remove the lid that was attached to the chain. It fell to the floor with a small clang as Newt grabbed the pistol that was on Aria's uniform. Aria watched desperately as Newt wanted to pull the trigger when Thomas threw the pistol out of his hand.

 "I'm sorry, Aria." Newt gasped.

Aria just nodded and looked lovingly at the blond boy. "Newt! It's all good, do you hear me? Fight it! I know you can do it!" She gasped as the crank took control of Newt's body again. The girl saw the flash of guilt in Newt's eyes. But as quickly as it came, it was gone again. Newt tore the knife that was on Aria's WICKED uniform and pressed it to her throat when Thomas pushed him off the girl. Newt's body fell to the floor, panting as Aria fought the rising tears.

***

I'm so sorry that I didn't post anything but I had school and yeah...

Anyways, thank you so much for 4K reads<3