Chapter 27

Thomas wasn't sure whether to take the girl with him. Vince would kill him if anything happened to her. But then again, she was right. She knew the scorch better than anyone. And she had been to the last city several times. He sighed.

As the boy followed Aria back into the hall, he saw her standing next to Vince. Vince talked to her and she nodded at him with a smile. When she saw the boy, she gave him a short wink, which made him blush. Thomas was nervous. Nervous that Aria would back down after all. Nervous that he couldn't save Minho and Aris. Nervous that he would lose Aria or one of his friends.

He sighed and lay down in one of the many hammocks. Groaning, he looked at the ceiling of the dilapidated building and imagined the most diverse scenarios of what to expect in the last city. Sighing, he turned around and a short time later fell into a restless sleep.

***

"Thomas!" Whispered the girl as she stood in front of the brown-haired boy and carefully tried to wake him up. "Tommy!", She whispered in his ear, which gave him goose bumps all over. Tired, he opened his eyes and looked into the ocean blue eyes of Aria, who was bent over him. Relieved, she smiled at him and motioned for him to be quiet by placing a finger on her mouth. Thomas suddenly woke up and got up from his hammock. He grabbed the small backpack. Aria already had her backpack on her back and her typical weapon belt, which was fully equipped with all kinds of weapons. The two youngsters crept quietly between the hammocks and left the building. The cold night air beamed towards them as they stepped out of the building.

"Ar-...", Thomas started, but was interrupted by Aria's finger, which the girl put on his lips. "Be quiet.", She whispered to him and grabbed his hand and ran with him up the stairs that led to the cars.

"Where do you think you two are going then?", Aria jumped back and unlocked her weapon. She let out a sigh of relief when she saw that it was Newt when the blond boy turned on the lamp.

"Newt." Thomas sighed.

"Don't be a twat about it. I'm already in.", Interrupted the boy Thomas. "Come on.", Newt said and took the backpack from Thomas's hand.

"No. No, not this time. Look, even if we find Minho...", Thomas started but was interrupted by Aria, "And Aris."

"And Aris. Even if we find them, there's no guarantee we make it back from this.", Thomas said decisively.

"Well, you'll need all the help you can get then, won't you.", Newt said and opened the car door in which Frypan was sitting. Aria sighed. "We started this together. May as well end it that way, too.", Newt leaned against the car.

"He's right, Thomas. We'll need their help.", Aria put her hand on the brunette's shoulder.

"Okay. Let's go get them back.", He nodded. Aria nodded happily and walked towards the car.

As soon as everyone was seated, Frypan drove off. "Vince is going to go insane if I'm not there tomorrow morning," she sighed and grinned, "I would like to see his face."

***

The group drove through the whole night. "Not far, then the tunnel will come.", Aria sighed and folded the map.

"You mean this one?" Frypan asked as he drove past several signs and he stopped in front of the tunnel. Frypan turned off the engine and the boys got out. Aria sighed and stood next to Thomas, who was staring thoughtfully at the tunnel.

"You want us to go in there, Aria?" Newt asked the girl. The girl nodded to him and looked into the darkness of the tunnel. "I don't wanna come across as too negative, but if I was a crank, that's exactly where I would be." Newt sighed.