Chapter 15

Lost in thought, she ran through the tents. She saw Harriet and Sonya from afar. But Aris was sitting with them. Aria was afraid to face him. So she went in the opposite direction to Mary. Lost in thought she ran through the tent entrance and saw a girl lying on the couch.

"Why are you here? Has Mary taken care of you yet?" Aria asked when she looked up.

"Mary has already taken care of me. I'm Brenda.", The brown-haired girl smiled pleasantly.

"Aria. What did you have?" she asked smiling.

"I was bitten by a crank. And I'm not immune.", Brenda looked at the floor. "I should have been more careful, then that wouldn't have happened," she blamed herself.

"Don't blame yourself. Everything will be fine.", Aria smiled reassuringly at her and sat down on the couch next to her.

"Aria! Here you are. I've been looking for you everywhere.", Came a voice behind them. Aria turned around. Mary stood before the girl smiling lovingly. Aria slowly got up and hugged her.

"I'm sorry for pushing you. But it hurt so much," she sighed and looked at the floor.

"It's okay, darling. I can see that you hit some rocks again in anger. Come on, I'll give you a cream for your pain.", Mary looked at her reproachfully. Aria smiled innocently and let the blood on her hand wash and lotion. There were a few abrasions, but it wasn't that bad.

"I have something else for you. Keep it safe. Perhaps one day it will save a human life," said Mary urgently. Aria looked at her confused. What did she mean by that?

She pulled a small chain from her pocket from which a pendant dangled. "This is the same cure I gave Brenda. Use it wisely," she said with a smile. Aria just nodded and tied the chain around her neck.

"Thanks, Mary," Aria whispered and gave her a long hug.

"Talk to him," Mary whispered in her ear. Aria pulled out of the embrace with a jerk. "Believe me, you'll be better after that.", Mary smiled. "Do it for me," Mary looked at Aria with a smile.

"All right. I'll talk to him," the girl said.

***

The girl didn't dare speak to him until the afternoon. She was afraid. Afraid he wouldn't believe her. Afraid that he hated her that she could remember and he didn't.

Sighing, she got up from the rock on which she had just been sitting and walked towards the little campfire around which Sonya, Harriet and he were sitting. She brushed a strand off her face. Sonya had braided her hair in a herringbone braid. The girl walked slowly towards the small group. Aria could still turn around and pretend she didn't want to go to them. She didn't have to talk to him.

"Aria! Come to us," Harriet yelled at her. Too late. She couldn't turn back.

Aria took a deep breath and walked towards the small group with a fake smile. There she sat down next to Harriet and gave Harriet a short withering look, which she acknowledged with a provocative smile.

"Um... I'm Aria." she introduced herself quietly to Aris.

"Aris. But I think you already know that.", He smiled at her with his typical smile. She missed his smile.

Aria laughed nervously. "Um, I think Mary called for me," she exclaimed and wanted to get up when Harriet stopped me and got up herself.

She pulled Sonya up with her and said: "We'll go to Mary and ask what she wanted from you." Aria stared devastatingly after the two of them, who only smiled at the girl and disappeared with a giggle.

"How do you know Harriet and Sonya?" Asked Aris curiously. She turned to him.

"I got them both out of the bus," Aria smiled as she thought back to the rescue operation.

"And you?" she asked my brother.

"We were in the maze together.", He explained and looked at the floor.

"You... how do you know me?" He asked softly.

"I... I'm your little sister," the girl whispered and looked at the floor.

"Really?" He asked.

"Yes, you saved me from WICKED and you were taken away by WICKED yourself for it." she said softly and brushed a strand from her face.

"Did you... Have you been looking for me or have you given up thinking of ever seeing me again?" He asked.

She looked up and a few tears left her eyes. "Never. I always hoped that I would free you one day. Even after nine years," the girl whispered. He smiled at her and got up. He sat down next to Aria and hugged her.

"I'm so glad you're alive, Aris." she whispered and buried her face in his neck. He put his face on his sisters shoulder and stroked her hair. "Me too, sis," he whispered.

She laughed and hugged him tighter. His smell streamed into her nose. He smelled of sand and sweat. His hair was still as soft as it was then. Smiling, she broke away from him and leaned against him. She had her brother back. Her big brother. "I love you, Aris." Aria said and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Me too, Aria. Even if I can't remember our time nine years ago. I love you too," he whispered and hugged his sister. She had him again. She had part of her family back. They broke up with a smile.

"How did you survive in the scorch?" Aria asked curiously.

"You ruined the moment, Aria." Aris laughed.

"I'm a specialist," she laughed.

Laughing, Aria asked: "Really now. How did you survive? I know the scorch inside out, better than anyone. And no one has ever survived nothing more than a night in the scorch. Without weapons, certainly not."

"I'll be one of the first.", He laughed. She got in with a laugh.

"Hey! Aris!" Someone yelled at the two from the hills. They turned to the one who had screamed. It was Frypan. He was sitting on the hill with the other three boys and waving to us. Aris waved back with a smile. Aria laughed at it and snuggled up against him. He put an arm around her shoulder and hugged his sister closer to him. They enjoyed the moment. The siblings had each other again.

Just for how long ...

***