~ Chapter 17 ~

Run.

Running was all he could do.

Running until he lose his breath, running until he couldn't feel all four of his limbs anymore, run until he collapse with fatigue in the snow and no longer be able to get up ... Run, Branch had to run.

His vision was blurry, blurred by his frozen tears. His heart ached, boom boom was gone, it was just a pain that tore his chest, that prevented him from breathing normally. Each breath of cold air entered his lungs like hundreds of tiny knives, he whimpered in pain, in despair. He was cold, it so was cold.

He stumbled and collapsed in the snow ... then he couldn't stand it anymore, covering his face with both hands, shaking with sobs. He was lost, alone. He had lost her; Poppy had chased him away, he had been a bad boy, he hadn't protected her like he had promised himself. He had failed.

The snow was falling so quickly that it was soon covered in snow, his sobs was all you could hear in the dead of night

.

When he opened his eyes again, the storm was over.

Branch stood up, shaking himself off the snow; it was dawn, but the sky was gray, as gray as his colorless skin. His chest still ached; with the back of his hand, he brushed the snow away from his closed blue eyes, then looked at the landscape he was in. The mountains, nothing else around.

- Friends ? He called

But Branch was alone.

Looking for nothing in particular, he began to sniff the ground; there a familiar trail ... the scent of Maya, a distinct scent of mashmallows, cloud and vanilla ... the shelter !

- Friends ! He exclaimed when he saw the shelter camouflaged by the snow.

Without even thinking, he rushed towards the little house, pushing open the door effortlessly and stepping inside, shaking himself.

- Trollex !? Mayaaaa ! Mister worm? Branch called out his friends' names

But no one was there.

Branch sighed; they had all been captured ... The rocks Trolls had all captured them, he was alone. He had failed. Still, letting run down tears, Branch walked around the shelter, searching, hoping that, turning around he would find Hickory eating berries, or else Darnell cradling the egg in his arms ...

Or Poppy, who would stroke his hair and hug him tight agaisnt her.

His heart broke a little more at this thought ... and the words of the queen came back to haunt his mind ... He had not wanted to abandon her ... but fear, fear had frozen him, those trolls attacking them, he was all holding this object ...

- ARMADO HERE! The voice screamed, hitting him with that object again.

Branch squealed in fear at the memory, went to the bedroom to continue his research.