🌻Chapter 4

🌻

There was a week left until exams, and the school was livelier than ever. The typically empty lecture hall was full today. All over the room, people were exchanging notes, and the combined noise was deafening. Installed in a seat by the window. Gulf found himself strangely interested in it all.

'Who knew so many people were taking this class?'

Gulf didn't skip school. He felt like it was a waste of money to skip classes when he was paying so much for them. Gulf was a pragmatist. Ever since elementary school, people had said that he wasn't the type to make decisions based on emotion, and he'd always agreed with them.

Before, he would have asked Mew immediately why the man had kissed him, and he would have kept pressing until he found out what Mew was thinking.

Unconciously, he stroked his lips with a finger.

'I guess those kisses are just that good. Or maybe I just like kissing? But that would make me a pervert, right?'

"Gulf."

Gulf quickly took his finger from his lips. Two girls sitting in the seats in front of him were looking his way. Both girls had their hair dyed the same shade of brown, although he didn't think they had done so on purpose. They were also carrying the same brand of purse. Eventually, Gulf remembered that he'd a class with them his freshman year. But he'd never spoken to them before.

"What?"

"Mew's not with you today?"

The pointed question made Gulf blink. "Why do you ask?"

"You're always together."

Come to think of it, that was true. Lately, they'd been hanging out together even at school. But of course, Mew didn't kiss him at school.

"I bet he'll be here soon," Gulf answered with a smile. But inwardly, he felt strangely cold and bewildered. This wasn't the first time someone he'd never spoken to before had asked him about Mew. He'd even been ambushed at the school gates by girls from other colleges, who would ask him all kinds of questions about Mew. It must be hard being Mew, having to deal with people he'd never even seen before.

Gulf watched as the girls whispered to each other, their brown heads bent together. Eventually, one of the girls raised her head, a decided look on her face. "Hey, is it true that Mew has a girlfriend?"

"A girlfriend?" Gulf frowned.

"Everyone's talking about it. They say she's really pretty."

"But no one knows who she is."

"And no one's ever seen her."

"We thought maybe you'd know."

"Has Mew told you anything about her?"

"Hold on there." Gulf put his hands up at the barrage of questions.

'Mew's girlfriend? If he has a girlfriend, why is he kissing me?'

"I didn't know anything about it." Gulf shook his head.

The two girls looked at each other, and their shoulders fell.

"Maybe it's just a rumor, after all."

"But it'd be weird if Mew didn't have a girlfriend, ya know?"

"So it is true?"

"I dunno. But I wonder what kind of girl Mew would date?"

The two were completely ignoring Gulf, wrapped up in their own conversation. Gulf stood there, twisting his mouth up into something like a smile.

'The girls do have a point. Mew is popular enough to have girls from other colleges after him. It would be weird for him not to jave a girlfriend.'

To put it bluntly, Mew had girls falling all over him.

'But if he does, why is he kissing me? If he just wants to make out, he could make out with his girlfriend.'

TBC