🌞Chapter 10🌻

🌞🌻

'What had been going through Mew's mind that day?'

Gulf could still remember the strange heat that had radiated off Mew's body. He laughed bitterly at himself. No matter how long he thought about it, he still couldn't understand it. The important thing was to stop kissing Mew. It wasn't fair to Mew's girlfriend.

Gulf's eyes snapped open at the sound of the doorbell. His alarm clock read four o'clock. He hurried from school back to his apartment and buried himself under the kotatsu. He'd been thinking, trying to ignore his heavy heart, and he must have dozed off.

Outside his window, the sky was growing dark. His arms had been folded on top of the kotatsu, and now they ached. His neck was aching too, as he'd fallen asleep in such an unnatural position.

The doorbell rang again.

"Gulf, you there?"

It was Mew's voice.

Gulf stood up reflexively, only to freeze, rooted to the spot.

'What would happen if I let Mew in? If Mew kissed me? Can I push Mew away? What if I get worked up like the night before?'

"Gulf?"

Gulf sighed. It would be all right. After all, he and Mew were just friends. They simply needed to go back to the way things used to be. Except for making out, they'd acted like friends all month. It would be fine. He'd be fine. He nodded to himself and headed to the door.

"I'm coming," he called. He unlocked the door, amd opened it.

Mew stood there, holding a plastic bag from the supermarket in each hand. Through the steam from his breath, Mew's beautiful white teeth looked like shining pearls. Gulf felt a pain shoot through his heart, and his hand shot up to his chest.

"Can I come in?"

Somehow, Gulf managed to nod.

Mew smiled, looking relieved. "You went home early today, didn't you? You never skip class, so Mild and Boat we're worried you might be sick."

"No. I just remembered something I had to do."

"Are you sure you're okay?" Mew slipped off his shoes and turned to look at Gulf, his eyes unwavering. His fine eyebrows were drawn together. "You look pale."

Gulf tried to laugh. He couldn't do it. He managed to force the corners of his lip up in a smile, however, "I was taking an nap, so I'm just a little spacey. What did you buy today?" He had to change the subject, because he couldn't meet that intense gaze.

Mew nodded and put the bag he'd been holding in his right hand down on the counter. "I thought we could have a hot pot, so I bought ingredients for it."

"Oh, a hot pot. Good idea." Gulf peered into the bags. He was relieved to be able to escape Mew's eyes, but he felt strangely empty.

'What's wrong with me? I've never felt like this before.'

"Tofu, napa cabbage, carrots, enoki mushrooms, pork, noddles, and ponzu sauce. You bought a ton of stuff. I'll pay you for half later, okay?" Gulf said in a cheerful voice, and Mew laughed a little.

"It's my treat tonight. I bought this too " Mew put the bag in his left hand down on the counter. Through the plastic, Gulf could see sake.

Gulf froze. "Sake?"

"You don't like sake?"

"No, I like it fine, but...we can't have sake."

"Why not?"