🌻Chapter 39

🌻

Thanks to the clear blue sky, the campus still had a carefree holiday air to it, the students were slower and lazier, even while they chatted about all the fun they'd had. Gulf walked through the happy campus with heavy steps.

Last night, he had taken the doorman's advice and left the hallway, but he had stood outside of Mew's building all night. He had been discovered in the hedges in the early morning by the doorman, who had come out to clean the trash area.

The old man, his white hair sticking up every which way, had been shocked to discover Gulf's haggard figure. Realizing that this wasn't quite normal, the man had offered to call Mew.

Gulf had shaken his head frantically. "That's all right. It's nothing. I'll be going now." Gulf left as fast as he could without running.

Back at his own apartment, Gulf took a shower and then managed to get a little sleep. He woke up in time to make his second class, but the agony in his chest was just as bad as ever. He felt as though he'd gone numb. However, his legs still ached from all the walking he'd done.

Still, he felt calmer than he had the night before. He can think straight again. When he thought back on what had happened, he could hear Mew saying "You have other people to talk to." Mew had told Kaownah that he wanted to spend his life with Gulf, and that Gulf was the only one for him. So why would he say something like that? Who was he talking about? Gulf had no more idea than he'd last night.

He didn't know what Mew was confused about, but it was the reason Mew had pushed him away. Just thinking of the moment when Mew had shaken him off made Gulf's heart twist. This must be what Mew felt when Gulf pushed him away. At the time, Gulf had been too scared to think about what Mew was feeling. It hadn't even crossed his mind that he was being careless. Gulf hurt Mew, who hadn't done anything wrong. Gulf had been so worried about Mew pushing him away, he hadn't thought about Mew's feelings at all.

Gulf sighed as he made his way down the hall toward the classroom. There was still time before class started, so there weren't many people around. That meant he didn't have to worry about his depression showing on his face. He'd been thinking all morning about what Mew had said, but he was no closer to an answer.

Mew never acted so stubbornly before. Gulf must done something to give Mew the wrong idea. Gulf knew he had to apologize though. Then they would talk, and he could do whatever he needed to set things straight.

But what in the world was Mew thinking?

TBC