√chapter fifteen

Zainab's POV

My feet froze in the pool when I heard a voice calling my name. Engrossed in whatever happened today, I just forgot that this person was yet to come and also the fact that she knew me more than my own mother. I quickly wiped my already wet face and stood up to face her while bringing a wide smile to my lips. Shaiq's Mom- who once was a beautiful young lecturer now changed into a graceful senior professor
Her silver hair was smoothly tied up in a loose bun and that light green sari with a black teacher coat was giving her an overall refined appearance.

"Zainab, what are you doing here, alone?" She asked while looking at me with gritted brows.

Now I couldn't tell her that I came here because of her son.

"I...I...yeah I just got an important call and there was some signal problem inside so I came out to attend it, " I replied in a clutter while rubbing the back of my neck.

She mouthed an oh while still examining my face with scrutiny, "and what's with your swollen eyes? Were you crying?"

I couldn't believe everyone was now able to notice my worn-out expressions and problems except Shaiq. It was indeed the other way round a few years ago; Shaiq was my biggest support and always got to know my troubles even before I let them out. Everything had become the opposite; before, I didn't have anyone who loved and cared for me except Shaiq and now I did have some people who looked after me except Shaiq once again.

"No...I wasn't.." I stopped when I couldn't find any excuse, "I mean yeah, I was crying because one of my friends just told me on the phone that her mother has died so I just could control my tears."

Now I had to lie as well to cover up my miseries that to from Aunt!

She took a deep breath while nodding, "I know news like this can make anyone cry. Are you okay?"

I wiggled my head with a small smile.

"Anyways, where is Shaiq?" She implored while glancing here and there.

"Maybe in his room. Come inside, Aunt. Do you want to have tea?" I grabbed her hand in mine and turned back while waiting for her to accompany me.

I stopped in my track when she laid her other hand on mine and made me face her once again.

"Maybe? Don't you know where your husband is, right now?" She shrugged her shoulders while her tone had hues of shock.

I was about to say something when she cupped my shoulders with her hands, preventing me to do so, "look, Zainab! Whatever I am going to tell you right now; don't take it like your mother-in-law or Aunt is telling you this. I am going to advise you as a mother- precisely as your mother."

She sighed before continuing again, "I know in what circumstances you got married to Shaiq and I know this as well that what kind of bond you guys had before that unexpected marriage. I am well aware that you two aren't sharing the same friendship bond which was the only thing tying you when you weren't his wife and he wasn't your husband because realistically I know one just can't get back to that relationship after indulging in a nikkah."

I kept staring at her with a dropped jaw as to how come she knew this. This meant, did she also comprehend that apart from friends, we both weren't even lived a normal married life? What if she really did? It would be so difficult for me to make her understand.

"But one thing I am happy about is that even if you guys have abandoned one relation; at the same time, you have embraced another one which is you started to behave and care for each other as a married couple. But now...." She deliberately stopped and lowered down her face, near to mine, "whatever I am going to say, you have to listen to it carefully."