Flashback 4

REFERENCE: Far Away Love  3-9 Chapters in case you want to refresh the happenings or want to read in Zainab's POV.

Shaiq's POV

I couldn't believe five years passed already. It was like yesterday I came to the USA and now I was done with my studies and started doing an internship along with a few part-time jobs. But what didn't change in this way was so-called anger and disappointment in Zainab. I hated to do so but I kept on showing her my dry behavior. Whenever she used to contact her, I declined it. I never replied to her messages but I wasn't at peace like this. I needed to talk to my Zainab, hear her voice, and know about her well-being.

Later was reached to me through my family and Ahmad who went back to Pakistan and became Zainab's friend. But the former one was making me restless. So after a lot of pondering, I finally couldn't stop myself from hearing her. I asked Ahmad to give a number to Zainab saying it was his but in reality, it was me who used to talk to her as Meekal.

In the night, as I was having dinner, Zainab's message popped up in my chat. As usual, she was telling me about her daily routine and asked about my well-being. And even after that, she sent me her picture as well.

A few hours later, as I was talking to Nofil on the phone, unexpectedly she gave me the news that she found her Bhabi on her way to University who said she missed her bus.

Despite how much I asked Mom to convince Zainab to start living at my house, she didn't agree due to Daniyal. But still, I was sending money for her expenses and specially asked Mom to give it to her regularly.

Suddenly Nofil's mischievous mind clicked and she asked me to talk to Zainab.

"Hello!"

God, after how many days I heard her voice. And the excitement which was right now in her tone didn't use to be present when she used to talk to 'Meekal'. I fought an urge to answer her. I had to control myself. A bit more or else everything would be futile. I quickly cut the call. I knew Zainab would have been hurt by it but what could I do?

Another day, I again got a message from Zainab and like always, I felt horrible for paining her so much.

"Please for once Shaiq, take the call."

It was her message. I got a pang in my heart. What happened to her? She didn't seem okay to me. Even though she used to message me before as well, it didn't come off like this.

"Shaiq please call me. I want to talk to you. Please just this time. Please Shaiq, please."

She was pleading literally. I left off whatever I was doing. I hope she was okay. This time, I hushed off my brain and just listened to my heart.

Taking a deep breath, I took out the mobile on which the supposed Meekal's sim inserted from the drawer. From this phone, I just used to talk to Zainab as her new friend. I waited for five minutes and then dialed her number.

"Shaiq, thank God you have called me. You know, I am so--"

I was dumbstruck. My heart beat at a different rhythm. For a moment, I thought she recognized me. That this caller bit Ahmad but her Shaiq. But the next moment, it made me worried since she seemed so inattentive that she took the call without checking who was it.

"Hey Zainab, it's me Meekal."

I closed my eyes to control myself. I had to do this.