√chapter twenty six

Zainab's POV

"You idiot Shaiq, why weren't you taking my call? Now tell me what I have to do?" As soon as I placed the phone on my ear, a person shouted which was loud enough to tear my eardrum.

I pulled the phone a little away from my ear at this unexpected yelling. It was a guy who was talking and this was the first time I was hearing his voice.

"Hello.....Hello.....what the actual heck, Shaiq? Speak from your damn mouth if you have attended my call. Don't tell me you became numb because Bha---" the same person again growled but abruptly stopped in the end.

Why was he talking such rudely with Shaiq? This Ahmad guy was never in Shaiq's life five years ago. He must have made him his friend recently. Also what he was going to say but didn't complete. Suddenly I heard footsteps which prompted me to cut the call hurriedly. It was actually Shaiq who had entered the kitchen. He came towards the front counter where I was standing. His eyes were on the slab; probably in search of his phone which he placed here before going out.

After not finding it, he first looked at my face with a raised brow followed by his confused gaze at his phone in my hand. I hurriedly forwarded it in his direction.

"Your friend was calling you for a while so I thought to tell him that you are not here right now that's why I attended the call," I explained while biting my lower lip in nervousness.

His eyes were hard as rock which made me shudder. When he was my friend, I always recklessly used to take his calls and he never got angry at me for this. That was the reason, I knew about all of his friends. But now I was blaming myself for doing it. But my curiosity to learn about this Ahmad whom even Nofil and Aunt were familiar with but I didn't, made me do this.

Shaiq calmly took the phone from my hand and without sparing me a second glance, turned around in an attempt to walk away. Seeing him going out, I suddenly remembered our conversation in the room a while ago.

"Shaiq!" I called his name which caused him to stop in his track but he didn't move around to face me.

"Whatever you said in the room, were you serious about that?" I asked in a low voice.

He finally glanced at me after turning around. The corner of his lips turned up in an amusing expression, "do you think that I was kidding with you?"

"To be honest, Zainab," he paused and took a deep breath before continuing, "our void relationship has nothing left in it, for us to make jokes about it anymore. It has been a mockery for both of us for more than five years."

"None of our relationships was a mockery for me Shaiq; our friendship could have been never and also I never dissed our marriage bond as well. Whatever I did, it was for you," I whispered out the last sentence as tears started filling in my eyes.

"Whatever is going to happen is what you always wanted," Shaiq mumbled while shrugging his shoulders. He looked here and there before returning his gaze on me, "besides, I don't want to talk about this here."

"Is our friendship this weak that you would end it and wouldn't remember me?" I asked as my voice started trembling in fear.

"Our nikkah bond was also not meant to be this weak, Zainab," he replied with an ironic smile, "the difference is I won't be able to forget you because the love I feel for you is still fresh in my heart. But I will never make my love and my right of being your husband a force relation for you. You also deserve happiness and if you would get it without me being part of your life, then I will happily walk out of your life. Please forgive me for marrying you without your consent in it. But even you yourself know why did I marry you. After I fell in love with you, I thought that my love would act as a bandage for your broken heart but at that time, I didn't realize that it also comes in the meaning of throwing your wishes on someone but anyway..." He trailed off as he scratched his forehead.