√chapter thirty three

Nofil's POV

It was the morning time as I was getting ready for my university when my phone rang. I placed the comb aside as I reached out for my mobile on the dressing table. It was Shaiq Bhai's call. Yesterday evening he took off with Bhabi to Mom's farmhouse. He might be giving the message to me that they arrived safely there as Mom's phone got damaged a few days ago and she had given it to a shop for repair.

I picked up the call and Bhai's shattering voice and the news he gave caused my whole body to shudder in fear. I almost felt like the ground got pulled away from my feet. I left everything which I was doing and scrambled to Mom's room. I barged inside without even knocking on the door but my feet froze in their place to find it empty. Mom must be in the kitchen, probably advising the maid for preparing breakfast.

With this thought in mind, I rushed toward the kitchen. As I spotted Mom's back opposite the slab, I walked in her direction. She was battering eggs in a bowl. There was no maid inside.

"Mom--"

She looked at me with gritted brows and touched my forehead with her palm. "What's wrong? You look lost. "

"Mom, Bhai called me and he said--"

"Did Shaiq and Zainab reach there safely?" Mom asked, interrupting me.

I sighed. "No, Mom. Bhai called me just now and said that they got into an accident on the way to your farmhouse and Bhabi has got injured. He is taking her to hospital."

Mom's eyes widened in panic as the bowl of eggs slipped from her hands and fell directly on the white floor. "W...What are you saying? Zainab...she is injured? What the hell are you saying Nofil? You know I don't like such kinds of stupid jokes," she yelled and shook my shoulders rashly.

I trembled in my place at her reaction. I held her both hands and squeezed them. "I am not bluffing away, Mom. Bhai called me and said Bhabi is in a critical state."

"Take me to her, Nofil. How could something like this happen to my daughter?" She murmured, more to herself. Her eyes suddenly became shimmery with tears and her face turned pale. And it wasn't an odd thing at all; she loved Bhabi so much. She cared for her even sometimes more than her children.

I nodded and carefully led her out of the kitchen. I made her sit on one of the sofas of the tv lounge and I dashed towards her room to bring her shawl. When I came back, I found her still being in the same position; widened, moistened eyes and colorless face with no emotion. Just one difference was there which was her cheeks had big tears on them.

I got near her and placed the shawl around her shoulder and wiped her tears with my fingers which made her look at me.

"He was going to give her a surprise for their sixth wedding anniversary, Nofil. They never got a chance to celebrate it together and it would have been the first time," she spoke as a tear fell from her eye. She licked her lips as she stared back at me. When her real mother rejected her, I vowed to myself to take care of her as her mother. I won't be able to forgive myself if something will happen to her," she uttered in a low voice.

"Nothing will happen to Bhabi, Mom. Believe me. She will be fine. She needs your prayers. Come, let's go to the hospital. Bhai has asked us to reach there as soon as possible." I gave her a heartbroken smile as I made her head covered with the black shawl.

After a drive of thirty minutes, we finally arrived at the hospital in the city. Shaiq Bhai had already texted me the location when he first called me. I cautiously helped Mom to come out of the car. As we reached inside the corridor, I saw Bhai sitting on a steel bench. He had his head thrown into his both palms while another guy with a white covid mask covering his face, was standing beside him, his one hand squeezing Bhai's shoulder.