eighteen

***

***

"What is it?"

I see Maximus frown at me as he stood at the door. It was dark out and I think he's lost his mind coming out here this late.

I didn't...want to see him.

After I learned about what he's been doing...I just have time to waste. I don't want him to end this competition, at all. He has so many people that he's having sex with. Who am I to stop him from enjoying such a thing?

I'd be too selfish.

"I feel like you've been mad at me recently. Did I...do something wrong?" Maximus asks me outright.

"What makes you think that?" I inquire in this mock innocence.

I see Maximus scoff as if me asking that question was stupid. I am purposely acting like I don't know what's going on.

"I am not trying to play these games with you." Maximus groans as if this was aggravating.

"What games?"

"You were supposed to tell me if I should end this competition for you or not. I've been waiting in angst...and you haven't given me any response-."

"Continue it."

Maximus frowns in confusion, causing me to grin at him.

"Why are you...being like this now?"

"I'm not being like anything. I don't want to keep anybody from their conquests with you." I grin politely at him, and I see his eyes widen.

Immediately I step back right when he was rushing at me. I slam the door in his face and start to lock it, looking through the window now. I see him look at the window...our eyes making contact.

Out of nowhere he faced forward. I see him turn around and just walk away from the house.

I had to sigh with relief because that went...better than I thought. Except I know that if he had caught me...

No, I don't know. He's honestly a mystery who has different reactions to different things. Especially since he has the Unhinged disorder...

I look away, going back upstairs. By the time I get to my room I look outside of my window. When I do I flinch when I thought I saw Maximus standing outside the house. Except it wasn't him...thank goodness.

Guess he's not as crazy as I gave him credit for.

____next morning____

"So...Maximus sleeps with the other contestants?"

"Well...he slept with Orion, Poppy, and Silas. Then I found him leaving with Felix...so, that further corroborates Silas' words... Maximus himself was even speaking about with Felix. He doesn't make any sense. How can you love someone then do that?"