thirteen

Even though I knew this was a winter ball...I didn't really have clothes to wear to it. Luckily for me, I stood isolated at the food table wearing one of Dawson's suits.

It was a light blue suit, but compared to his it doesn't look that nice. Except that wasn't the point - I was just thankful he gave me something at all!

All the windows happened to be opened and the hall was drifting towards the outside. It was uncanny in my opinion considering how chilly it was.

I turn away from people dancing, seeing myself in the blue punch. Saw my white hair and it kind of wasn't jibing with me, but it wasn't bad either.

"Why are you by yourself?" I hear Ensley's voice, and I see her stand beside me. She was getting some punch for herself and I shrug. "You've been down in the slumps recently. Why?"

I sigh sadly, shrugging again and she rests her hand on my arm. Her eyes soften upon me as if she had a soft spot for me.

"I have been watching you for some time and I feel like you're kind of losing yourself here. I think the competition along with the people, and even Maximus is breaking you down." She states to me, and I couldn't even disagree. "You seemed to be the most confident one here at first - now you seem to have become a broken shell of your used-to-be self."

When I look at her now she grins, and I sigh sadly.

"Yeah... I didn't come here liking Maximus. So it was easier to go through because I didn't have feelings for him. Except the more I was here...I suffered in the process. People hating me all because someone likes me." I say, and Ensley shook her head. "Then what is it?"

"You shouldn't let something like that bother you."

"I can't help it." I whimper, and I suddenly see her open her arms to me. Looking down at her...I kind of sorta felt this motherly vibe. It was calming to say the least.

I end up hugging her now, and I grin. I appreciated this even though I know I've heard it before.

"This is only temporary. Everyone can see their rude behavior and no one can say you're in the wrong. If anyone does - they're just a bad person outright. I wouldn't let this get to you." She tells me, and I nod.

We both pull away now, and I give her a thumbs-up. I haven't done that in a while...

She gives me one back, and her hand rests on my chest.

"I know you only hear this in the movies, but it works. Instead of using this," She taps my temple, and I instantly knew she was implying my brain, "I think you should use this from now on. It is also you being yourself - which Maximus seems to like a lot. I know we're competition, but if I saw anyone winning this...I think it would be you. You could win it for all of us if you follow your heart more."

I smile, nodding enthusiastically actually. Once we pull away I saw Dawson look sick to his stomach. One of his hands on was deep in his hair and I saw his fingers clinging to his roots.

"Dawson, what's wrong?" I ask him, and he at first looked at me with disgust. I was surprised...but just grin as I try to follow Ensley's advice...

She gave me more advice than my parents have in years.

"I'm sorry...I have a stomachache. I'm going to head to our room, okay?" He tells me, soon smiling and I nod in understanding. Now I see him rush away and that was weird to see.

>

"Would you like to dance with me?" Maximus asks me nervously it seemed, and I saw Ensley speaking with some others.