13: BLAST FROM THE PAST

For five hours, all Jade did was practice her power.

"Alright, Jade, just try to make that pillow float towards the door." Jade said to herself, "Faster, this time."

During those five hours, she managed to get one of the basics of her power - levitating objects without her touching them. Then she went to the bathroom to test her power through the moving water from the sink.

She opened the faucet and water began to come out. Concentrating, Jade stared at the running water. As she felt the energy inside her body gradually increasing, it was almost painful for her to bear. Jade stayed concentrated for seconds longer until the water finally stopped mid-fall from the sink. Once she saw her expectation, she held each side of the sink and breathed heavily.

"This is taking too much of my energy." she said, panting, and went back to the main room to lie on the bed.

While asleep, Jade found herself standing inside another bedroom.

It was more medieval looking this time, very much unlike Theodore's room was in the present. The room was full of wooden furniture, but the variety of dolls placed on two beds made Jade aware that she's inside a girls' bedroom.

"Leila, what power do you want to have when you find the Tree of Magus?" Jade heard a voice of a woman

In front of her, just a few steps ahead, was a balcony. It was slightly covered with a curtain, enough to hide Jade from inside. Even with the curtain in between them, Jade still tried to find somewhere to hide herself. She wouldn't risk revealing herself again and cause damage to another timeline - if ever she time travelled unconsciously again. Scanning her surroundings, she couldn't really find an object big enough to hide her. As a last resort, Jade hid herself under one of the beds of whoever was sleeping in this room.

"I want to have healing powers!" a girl's little voice said, while shaking her tiny fists excitedly. "Because I always get sick."

"That's lame." another girl said. From the silhouettes, Jade could see that this one was a little taller. "When I'm 16, I'll ask the Tree of Magus to give me a powerful one."

The older woman patted the head of the smaller one. "Well then you only have to wait for 6 more years to get those powers you want."

"Mom, I met another noble at school." the one named Leila said, "He said I looked pretty with my pigtails."

"Oh, Leila. Is that why you wanted me to tie your hair like this?" Leila nodded. "What is this boy's name?"

"Philip. He's a Valentine!"

"A Valentine?" The woman's tone changed from all happy to a somehow disappointed one. "Leila, it's good that you're making friends with your schoolmates already but you should really get along with Lockharts and De Villiers. They are much stronger friends. They can protect you when you're hurt."

"Really mom?" Leila asked innocently.

It's a mother and her two children. Leila is the only name I get to have so far. Leila sounds familiar, though...

"I made a friend too. His name is Theodore Lockhart." the other girl boasted.

Their mom clapped her hands. "Very good, Astra! I knew I could count on you when I saw you in that Orphanage. I saw your potential!"

Leila and Astra. Theodore Lockhart. Don't you dare forget this information, Lyra Jade. Prince Theodore might know something about these people. You could be linked to them or something. Jade thought to herself.

Astra's smile faded after their mom mentioned about the orphanage. It was always like that. Leira Sinclair will praise her but will always remind her that she's not really from their House. She's just a commoner who got lucky for being adopted by a Noble. What's even worse was that it was Leila who saw her in that orphanage, she was the one who asked her mother to adopt her. Astra felt like she owed her luck to Leila but she would never try to repay her for that. Being adopted by a Noble secretly was luck, but being with Leila and her annoyingly innocent aura was bad luck for her.