37: DEATH OF A LOVER

REVERIE

Reverie and Nazaire were left outside the Emergency Room after a few minutes of panicking over Justin getting back his consciousness. Before they were ushered outside, the injured boy fluttered his eyes once he was already placed on the bed, with a doctor and nurses preparing for the surgery. When one nurse was about to close the door, Rev found Justin trying to get up and asked, "Where am I? Rev?"

The sound of her name from his lips made her eyes glisten, tears threatening to fall. He called her. Not anyone else. But her.

"I'll talk to you after this, alright?" Mr. Thompson told her before going inside the room.

Although she knew Justin said her name because he saw her before the door closed, it was still good to hear his voice. That he was not dead, unlike what Lyra Jade said she heard from Astra in one of her travels. Ever since her best friend told them about the future, she couldn't help but assume that it was Justin who'd be that dead lover. Then the plan happened and it became clearer.

How can she change the prophecy?

Nazaire led Reverie to a white seat. "Will you be fine waiting for Hastings alone or do you need company?"

"I... I'm good," Reverie answered. "You should go back to Empyrea before they search for you too."

Despite feeling concerned about the dire wolf, Naz stood up and bowed. "I'm sorry for leaving you in this situation but I'm afraid I do need to report back to the higher ups. General A- Valentine already left the army so they would be checking for other traitors among our troops as well," he explained, hoping the girl would understand that he did not intend to leave her.

"Castells, it's okay, really," Reverie managed to fake a smile, just so the soldier would not feel any more guilty than he's feeling at the moment.

"I'll send one of my friends here instead." Naz suggested. "They'll be here in a few minutes. You don't need to be alone right now." He was about to walk away but he looked over his shoulder. "You can call me Naz. There is no need to be formal now."

Reverie nodded, somehow glad that Naz suggested that. "Thank you, Naz." She's not really one to bottle up her emotions, she always needed Lyra Jade or her grandmother to listen to her. Frankly, Justin could be a special mention too. After all, he helped her cope up when they arrived in Sturmfrei for the first time, and when her best friend was stuck in the Castle with the Prince. He was there for her, and she was there for him to comfort him when he saw the other dire wolves. But, alas, the boy fell for her best friend. She couldn't blame Lyra Jade though, her best friend has it all (well, maybe except the rational thinking sometimes, and her motivation to study).

In half an hour, Reverie was not greeted by any of the doctors but by one loud teenager who talks to animals, and another one who could not stop humming.

"Why, of all people, did Naz send you two to be with me?" Reverie asked them.

"We are the only ones available right now," Haze gladly replied. "Lil said she still could not find the guts to show herself to you after what happened. Jenevieve's consoling her. So... here we are." Jeremiah waved a hand at her. "Any news from the doctor or nurses?"

Reverie sighed and shook her head. "It's only been a few minutes anyway. One nurse already brought pints of blood for him."

Jeremiah and Haze nodded. "And your other friend, Valentine... or Sinclair, whatever name she goes by, how is she?" the latter asked.

"It's Lyra Jade, you fopdoodle," Jeremiah answered.

"Oh, right. Lyra Jade, my apologies," Haze flashed a sheepish grin. "I'm not really good with names."