19: PROPHECY AND POWERS

Jade and Theodore successfully got inside the castle with the help of Jenevieve's power to make the tree stump grow taller. The Prince peeked at the glass door, checking if any of the servants or his family was inside. When he saw no one, he opened the door and went in, not even waiting for Jade.

"I'll get us some food." Theodore said without looking back at Jade, "Lock the door when I leave." Jade silently agreed and sat on the couch.

Right when Theodore was about to open the main door, the door from his closet room opened, revealing a surprised Emma holding Jade's bag full of clothes.

"Prince Theodore- I-", Emma stammered, letting go of the bag. "I was told to clean your room an-" she then saw Jade sitting on the couch, with the same surprised expression as her.

Theodore made a cautious approach towards his trusted maid while Jade watched the scene unfold before her. "Emma, I can explain."

Jade cringed. He sounds like he's been caught cheating on his wife. Wait- do they have something or?

The Prince stopped walking and glared at the girl who thought she wouldn't be heard by him. "Lyra Jade, I can hear you."

"Sorry." Jade slumped on the couch with a pout. "Just curious, y'know."

He sighed. "Emma, meet Jade." Theodore introduced the girl with him without any notice. "She's a friend."

Emma, thinking that it's not her position to ask the Prince further, nodded. "I understand, my Prince."

"She's..." Theodore couldn't think of any excuse. What would he say that would help him get away, anyway? Jade's his friend from the Outlands? That wouldn't do. A friend whom he's helping stay for the night? But what would explain Jade staying in his room?

Just tell her the truth if you trust her. Jade suggested. I've heard her talk to other chamber maids before. Emma adores you, my Prince. she said through her thoughts with a hint of sarcasm on the nickname.

"She's actually my prisoner." Theodore said to Emma. Jade tried not to slap her forehead in disbelief. You could have said I was a friend who's trying to hide from her crazy boyfriend or something. Way to go, V.

What is a boyfriend? Theodore asked her but then shook his head. I will deal with you later.

"Your prisoner?" Emma asked.

"She's... done something.."

"My Prince," Emma said, "you can tell me if you're sleeping with a woman. I won't tell anyone." She smiled at Jade.

Theodore cringed at the thought. Sleep with a woman? I don't have time for that.

"Thank you, Emma." Jade inserted herself in the conversation before the Prince could even reply. "Please keep this from the.. uh- others. Prince Theodore's just too..." she paused, thinking of an appropriate word. "Shy to introduce me. After all, i'm-"

"You're already tired. Prepare yourself so you can sleep now, Lyra Jade." Theodore interrupted, holding her shoulders to move her to the bed.

Emma, although already feeling like she's invaded the Prince's privacy, stood still on her spot. Theodore isn't like that with Lady Jenevieve. He never looked uneasy with girls before either.

"Emma." The Prince turned to her once his prisoner already settled down on his bed - forced, at that. "Thank you for cleaning my room. If you could, please wash her clothes as well. I don't want to see her garments inside my bathroom." He gave Lyra Jade a stern look before smiling at Emma. "Her clothes should be kept away from the Queen's or Ira's clothes. They might suspect. You may leave now."