Chapter 2 - Her Smile

Cormac is lying in his bed in the middle of the night, all alone. By now, the alcohol has worn off and he's been trying to fall asleep for hours. But he just can't. So, he gets out of bed, puts his robe on, walks downstairs to his kitchen to grab a cup of milk.

He then sips the milk and stares at a shelf. On that shelf is a picture of his family. His two sons, him, and his wife. He starts to tear up.

While he's tearing up, he looks beside the photo. It was a photo of Cristina and him. He remembers how Cristina talked about Meredith and started to tear up even more.

He wants Meredith. He really does. He knows that his wife, Abigail, and Derek would want him and Meredith to be happy again and to be able to fall in love with someone new. And he knows that his sons and Meredith's kids would be fine with it as long as they're happy. But he just doesn't know how to tell her.

At work, Hayes see's Meredith smiling at one of her patients. Her smile, it... it changes his world. It made him feel complete. Then when Mer walked out. She waved at him and started to approach him.

"So who's the girl?" she asked mockingly.

"She- she told you?!" he replied worriedly.
He thought Bailey had told her.

"No 'she' didn't. You just look very happy today." replied Meredith.

Cormac was relieved to know that his secret was still safe.
"There's no girl. Just my boys are happy" replied Hayes.

"That's good" Meredith replied, smiled, then left.

He thought he was safe. That only him and Miranda knew. But of course, someone was around the corner.

"How much did you happen to hear?" asked Hayes.

"Enough to know..." they replied...