Chapter 16 - Realization

...
the next day
...

Hayes' POV
I walk into the hospital seeing the ER flooding with patients. Then I see Meredith. I want to go up and talk to her about last night but she seems busy with the amount of patients she has. I'll just talk to her later.

"Dr Hayes, Dr Shepherd has a peds case. You should probably go check it out." Dr Hunt said as he passed by me with a patient that was impaled by a pole.

I look for Dr Shepherd till I find her talking to a little kid and who I assume to be his parents.

The kid seemed about 6 years old, which was always sad. I walk up to Dr Shepherd once she's done talking and comforting the parents.

"What do we have here?" I ask.

"Trevor Taylor. Was in a minor car crash with his baby sitter. Broke his ulna, radius and two phalanges. Baby sitter is fine by the way." she responded.

"Well then why are you here and not ortho?" I asked.

"Because it turns out this kid has tumour in his brain. They found out when they gave him a ct to check if his brain was damaged in the crash."

"Oh..." I said right before we went into surgery.

Amelia's POV
...
after surgery
...

The surgery to remove Trevor's tumour was successful. His parents were smiling from ear to ear and once the kid woke up, he smiled from ear to ear as well.

"Hey, Dr Shepherd..." Hayes began to say.

"Haven't I told you to call me Amelia? Or am I thinking of some other bald doctor?" she said.

"Sorry, Amelia, was Dr Grey acting weird this morning." he asked.

"Mmmmmm nope. She woke up, got dressed, gave her kids cereal, school bus picked them up, got into the car, wait for Maggie and I, then we arrived here. What we do almost everyday." she said.

"So she didn't seem off?"

"Why are you asking these questions?" she asked.

We stood there in silence for about 2 minutes.

"Well, are you going to say something or...." she said.

"Right, yes. Don't tell anyone, especially Dr Grey, that I told you this but... we've been dating-" he started before I cut me off with my screeching as I jumped up and down.

"Oh my Gooddd!!! I knew it! Jo owes me 10 bucks" I said.

"You and Wilson placed a bet on us?"

"Uh... weren't you saying something?"

"Right... so I took her to my 'away from my children' house and she acted weird once she saw the house." Hayes said.

"Oh. That is odd." I said.

"I was wondering if you would come and check the place out and maybe you can find out why she acted like that?" he asked.

"Of course! Why would I say no? I might be your sister one day!" I said happily.

He chucked and said, "Ok meet me in the parking lot at 8." before walking away.

...
8 pm in the parking lot
...

Hayes' POV
I stand by my car as I see Amelia approach me.

"You ready?" she asked.

"Why are you asking me? I'm the one driving." I said back.

"Oh... right... well, then, I'm ready!" she said eagerly.

Amelia's POV (again 💪)
We arrived at the house. It was in the middle of the woods on a cliff. The lights in the house were all off and it was pitch black outside. I could only see shapes. No colour at all.

We entered the house and Hayes turned on the lights. This layout looked familiar. Like... I've lived here before. That's when my jaw dropped and I realized where we were.

"What? What's the matter?" Hayes asked.

"This..." I began to say before I walked out the door and started the house. Hayes followed me right out.

"This is almost exactly how Meredith reacted. How come you guys are reacting like this??" Hayes asked and I could see on his face that he was starting to get a bit concerned.

Hayes' POV (yes again 🤓)
Amelia didn't say a word as she walked around the house 4 times as if she were summoning a demon of some sort.

"Amelia," I began to say before she shushed me.

"Shh." she said as she walked back up to the front door. She was headed for the stairs.

She went into the master bedroom and just stood there. She stood there and looked around.

"No way..." she said while sitting on the master bed.

"No way what?" I asked as I sat beside her.

She turned to look at me and said, "You guys are like meant to be or whatever."

"What? What makes you think that?" I asked. I was about to give up and just walk outside the door.

"This was the house Derek built for Meredith."

My jaw dropped.

"Mer moved out after she came back from San Diego... y'know, after Derek died. I- I lived here with them. This was their bed... they- the tumour on the wall was on that wall right there. The post it hung right over there. This is why Mer freaked out..." she said with tears filling her eyes thinking about her dead brother.

(comment any ideas you have for this story bc I have ideas but idk if they'll be any good. I will ofc give creds)