Chapter 18: Golden Fate

A puff of grey smoke slowly floated towards the ceiling only to be torn apart and vanish as the selfish air around it forced it to spread itself out until it's existence couldn't be found.

"Where would you like me to start, my sleepy star?"

The words flowed gently out of Ocean's mouth, filling the selfish air with a kindness it didn't deserve. The vampire simply raised an eyebrow.

"The beginning would be good." Came Shu's reply, voice laced with a surprising amount of sarcasm.

Ocean sighed and took another drag from his cigarette. "....I'd prefer not to have to describe the big bang theory to you." He said, face un-amused. Perhaps the topic he was about to talk about had him more tense than he had anticipated being.

Smoke filled his lungs once more and teal eyes gazed towards the dull classroom ceiling once again.

"I want the truth. Tell me the beginning of how you discovered your brother's powers... Who was first?" The vampire nearly demanded though his eyes stayed shut. To anyone else he would have sounded bored but Ocean could hear the slight eagerness in his tone. It was.... almost charming. If they had been talking about anything else he would have found himself focusing on it more.

A sigh filled the air and smoke was once again consumed by the selfish air. "That would have to be River. That day had started off normal..." Ocean spoke quietly, refusing to look at the vampire as he began to tell the story.

●●●●● 9 Years Earlier ●●●●●

"I FINISHED MY HOMEWORK! LET'S GO!!!" Shouted a young boy as he practically sprinted down the steps, a tiny backpack in his bag.

Standing at the bottom of the stairs was a slightly older boy who wore a gentle smile, holding his arms out and catching the smaller boy with ease as he jumped from the last two steps.

"River, what have I said about running down the stairs?" Scolded the older boy as he placed the blue-haired child on the ground.

Said boy just pouted and rolled his eyes. "I didn't even fall this time. Besides if we waste more time you'll say it's to dark to go out and play!! You promised me we could go play today!" River whined and Ocean simply sighed.

"Go put your shoes on and wait by the door. I just have to grab our lunch." The older brother said and watched as the younger boy immediately rushed to do as told before he made his way to the kitchen.

Sitting on the counter was a bag filled with food and towels. Ocean had managed to get enough money to buy rather decent sandwiches for their outing today. The 13 year old had decided to pamper his brother. School had been rough recently for the 9 year old and Ocean simply wanted to cheer him up. With the nice weather, the red-haired boy had planned a trip to the little creek that resided in the woods behind their house.

He grabbed the bag and made sure everything was inside before making his way to the front of the house. Impatiently waiting by the door was River, who's shoes were already on and his face twisted into a pout once again.

"Alright. No running ahead or letting go of my hand. You know the rules." Ocean spoke as he moved to put his own shoes on, the younger boy eagerly agreeing and tugging on his jacket.

The two Kaneko boys left the house, delighted chatter coming from River and occasional replies and gentle words of encouragement coming from Ocean.

●●●●●

They had been walking for about a half hour and the two brothers were nearly at the creek. Honestly the "creek" was actually a river but to avoid confusion the two had taken to calling it a creek.