Prologue

It has been two months now since she became a duchess and a wife. But not yet a mother.

The thought had caused dread to Lydia. She may not have constantly heard the words but it lingered wherever she went. Even now as she made her way to visit her mother-in-law, the dowager duchess of Hinley and the most sought after lady in the country: Lucille Davensport.

Along with her loyal maid, Lydia made her way towards Fairclough manor. The place held little good experience to her but this was where Lucille resided now. Their carriage halted and her driver announced they have arrived.

They descended and stared at the tall edifice. It was one of the prettiest houses in the area. A maid and several other male servants welcomed them. Once they have taken up their things, she was escorted towards the drawing room.

"My lady, her grace the duchess of Hinley is here."

"Thank you Carol. You may leave now."

The doors were closed and Lydia slowly made her way towards Lucille. The latter gave her a wide friendly smile.

"My dear duchess. It is wonderful of you to visit your old mother-in-law." She hugged her daughter-in-law and ushered her to take a seat. "I hope your journey was not as arduous as it usually is."

"It went better than expected, Mama. I hope you do not mind me barging in here."

"Of course not dearest! I am rather bored these past few days. Now, come and join me for tea."

Lydia sat and allowed her guard down for the mean time. Her mother-in-law always made her comfortable.

"I hope I am not intruding."

"Definitely not. I do wished to see you, seeing that I am now on my own here." Lucille said with sadness in her eyes. "Ever since Rose has left, the manor has been quite."

She tried not to flinch at the mention of the woman's name. But she did clenched the cup on her hands. Lucille continued to talk, unaware of her discomfort. "She was a sweet thing. I always felt she needed a mother and I did the best I could to contribute to her life. It is sad to see her go but knowing is happy now, it gives me peace."

"She meant that much to you..." it was not a question because Lucille made it clear what the woman was to her. "Perhaps, it would have been best to have held unto her then."

"Oh, no no. Rose belonged there with her husband. If I kept her by my side, she may not have found happiness." With a smile, Lucille turned to her. "Will you tell me why you have come to see me?"

"Y-yes. I...I have something of import to say, Mama. I just could not find the right time to say this but you need to know."

"You are making me nervous, duchess. Whatever is this about?"

"It is about Emelia."

"Yes, I was just talking about her. Ah, I guess you are worried that she has left." Lucille gave her a gentle smile. "She is young but I needed her to find herself and Habsburg was the answer. I was not surprised that she and Dathan had eloped, gotten a license and married without telling us. But I have no I remorse for them. Vincent and I had known about their feelings for each other and we support them both. My second son turned his back from the life he knew so he could start all over and Rose has flown away from the nest. I'd say, she deserved to be free of her duties to me."

"Well, perhaps, not."

Her mother-in-law's eyes turned to her, "Whatever do you mean, duchess? Does her sudden marriage affect you? Is that why you have come to see me? To comfort me for the loss of my companion?"