12: One piece at a time

"I like to be surprised by life; it's a good thing to search for the puzzle pieces"

-Josh Mcdermitt

⚜️

Damian arrives at the cabin he recently procured. The carriage and horses were tethered by a tall maple tree and he alone, went inside.

The living room was sparse yet it exuded a warm welcome. His eyes stared at the empty fire place and imagined how beautiful the cabin would be with its flames; flickering around and making shadows by the corners. A soft pianoforte would ring in one corner, a soft rug would caress their toes as they dance barefoot against each other.

Damian closed his eyes and savored the thought. Already, he could feel a warm body lean on him. And his hands moved with familiarity downwards to hold a feminine form. A whiff of scent penetrated his nostrils. A mixture of the sun and kitchen smoke. Perhaps a bit of fresh ham. Nothing expensive. Just simple everyday smell.

Nothing fancy.

Yet how pungent it was.

One movement, and they hugged each other. The noises faded and was replaced with the beating of their hearts. Damian felt a soft breath brush his neck. His head turned but his remained closed, as if he only needed to feel. And there it was again, a blow of warm air caressed his cheek. He stepped forward and began to reach out.

A chuckle rung against his ears which pulled him out of the reverie.

He looked around and saw no one. He was alone here.

Was he getting mad?
***

After sometime, Damian decided that the cabin was good enough to use for short stays. The excellent woodwork could last a winter and withstand great heat. He made a list of furniture to add for later use and the cleaning lady volunteered to bring more people to clear the garden.

He watched as Dante helped the servants move things he brought from the manor. Some books, garden tools, firewood and candles. The upstairs room would make a good study. He could bring his paperworks here and make use of the silence the place offered. Though he is yet to recall why he bought it in the first place.

While no one was looking, he made his way towards a nearby tree. The afternoon sun was still quite high but the shade provided enough protection. He sat down and decided to open the mysterious royal letter.

He recognized the seal from Habsburg. His family were friends with the previous king but after he passed and his younger brother took the throne, they had no one to write to. Damian figured that his father may have kept correspondence with someone from Habsburg but not him.

Perhaps the letter was mistakenly addressed to him. Afterall, he had just become the duke and his father still lived. He tapped the letter against his palm. Should he open it or forward it to his father? But what if it contained something of import? Fairclough was days away from Hinley. Forwarding the letter may only cause harm than help.

So he carefully broke the seal and unfolded the paper. The wax fell down the grass and made no noise. His eyes began to read:

To the new Duke of Hinley,

Damian raised his brow. It was no mistake. The letter was meant for him. So he continued to read.

I am writing to you in advance as I may not be present in my home by the time you respond.

But I wish to let you know that I am traveling to Kelmsleigh soon and I wish to have a word with you. I shall not make you worry and ease your mind by saying that the subject of such talk would be about your brother.