18: Secrets after another

"There are some secrets which do not permit themselves to be told."

-Edgar Allan Poe
⚜️

After everyone had their fill, dancing resumed in the ballroom while others decided to join the gaming tables. The rain ceased its downpour but the cool air dissuaded the guests to venture outside. Despite that, there were laughter and conversations everywhere. Hinley manor was alive with activity.

Damian spent some time catching up with some family friends. Leaving Lydia with her mother and sister-in-law.

"Dowager, I wish to apologize for my mother's demeanor at the table. She had no right to say that."

Lucille took some lemonade from a passing servant. "Jules, do you mind entertaining the earl?"

Julianna, being young, showed great interest to get away from her mother and do something else. "I'd be glad to show him around." And went to approach Laure.

Once she was out of ear-shot, Lucille gave her full attention to Lydia. "You should not be apologizing in her behalf. Your mother is well aware of her own faults."

"Its just--"

"But, for your own sake, I accept your apology."

"Thank you, dowager. I shall have a word with my mother soon."

"You do that, duchess. And while you are at it, do ask her when she and your father will leave Hinley. I would hate to miss their departure." She took a sip of her drink and hastily added. "But it is your home now, you can decide who stays and not."

Lydia understood that her parents have overstayed and the dowager wants her to do her duties by sending them off. "I shall do my best."

"That is good to hear." Lucille turned around and left the glass on a nearby table. Before moving on to another corner. She felt a tug at her arm and saw the Lydia delaying her. "What is it, your grace?"

"Before you go, dowager. I would like to say that...I still do not support Dathan's decision."

"So you lied, at the table."

"I had to so we can end the conversation. They do not have to know our family matters."

Lucille was taken aback. Her own actions resurfaced on her mind and at some point, she regretted some of it. "You have a point, duchess. I should have spoken differently."

"It has been done. And I understand why you had to do it. I only wish that in the future, we do not quarrel in front of others." Lydia forced a smile. "We are family after all. Let us work together and live in harmony."

"I will not make any promises tonight, duchess. But you have my word that I will behave. If you'll excuse me..."

Lydia watched her mother-in-law walk away. She hoped that she had at least accomplished something. She breathed a sigh of relief. That went better than expected.

"Way to stand up for yourself."

Before she turned around, she felt chills once more. There was no mistaking Kerr's voice. She took a deep breath and watched him move frontwards.

"I suppose that is a compliment."

He gave her a tight smile. "You amaze me time and again, cousin. I can't say I'm proud. People say Lucille Davensport is one challenging woman. But you held your ground."

"I did it for my family. That is all. Now, what do you want?"

His smile faltered. "And you've grown sharp, too. Very well, I shall cut to the chase. Why don't we find us some place away from this crowd. I want to talk."