26: When one forgives

"Forgiveness is a powerful expression of the love within our soul." 

- Anthony Douglas

⚜️

A tray was left on the table but Lydia had no appetite. She had been chewing on her thumb about how to approach her husband. Both her feet burned from walking back and forth, and soon her carpet developed a blemish. Her initial reaction was to sulk and hide but Evangeline's words echoed in her mind, "...the duke cares for you."

If he did, why would he open his heart to Em? The woman had no right to know about his condition. He wouldn't even tell his mother and sister, so why her?!

"Wait, why am I hiding? I should be out there." She told herself. "Crying will not resolve this inconvenience. I must speak with Damian if I want answers."

She stood up and began to pick a dress. Not finding one that suited her taste, she proceeded to pull out her trousseau. It was gifted to her by Lucille and she had never opened it since the wedding. Lydia thought she would never be able to use them.

Until now.

She rummaged through the piles of accessories and linens made of the smoothest materials. After a while, she found something that caused her to smile. This will do.

***

Damian left his study and decided to take something for his head. It had been aching since the episode threatened to surface. As far he recalled, there was a bottle of laudanum by his bed. He went upstairs and made his way toward the master bedroom.

Several servants passed him. Their heads bowed as he walked but he had no time to exchange pleasantries. His head was killing him. Finally, he reached his door. With a push, he went inside. The laudanum sat by his bedside table, its brown bottle shone against the sunlight. He took a full swig and leaned against the bedpost. An exhausted sigh escaped his lips. It will take a few moments for the concoction to take effect, he might as well take a short nap.

He capped the bottle and placed it back down. It made a clinking sound. He went to the mirror, and Damian decided to untie his cravat. But without Peterson, it seemed harder doing it by himself.

Lydia notices his struggle with his cravat and walks over to offer her assistance.

"Having trouble with your cravat, your grace? Let me help you with that."

Damian whirls around. His wife emerged from the dressing screen, her hair down, and was free of its pins. She walked up to him in that graceful motion of hers. When her hands brushed against his chin, he caught a whiff of something sweet. God, she smelled wonderful.

He nods gratefully, relieved that someone is there to assist him. Lydia gently takes hold of the cravat and begins to untangle it, making sure not to tug too tightly.

"Sometimes these things can be tricky, but we'll have it sorted out in no time." With her deft fingers, Lydia manages to loosen the cravat, allowing Damian to breathe easier.

"Thank you, Lydia. I don't know how it got so tight all of a sudden."

Lydia smiles warmly, "No problem at all. It happens sometimes, especially if it wasn't tied properly in the first place. Now, let me help you tie it back properly so it won't bother you again."

He raised his hand, "No, I would rather be without it for now."

She nodded and said, "It's my pleasure. Helping you is what I'm here for." The cravat was thrown onto the bed. When she turned her eyes to him, she found him staring at her intently. "Is something the matter?"