11: Sudden shift

"No great thing happens suddenly"

-Rebecca West

⚜️

For the next few days, Damian and Lydia tiptoed around each other. Both could not read what the other was thinking.

At night, they could hear movement through the connecting doors. Shadows loomed and stayed. But no one dared to open the door and face the situation.

Damian spent his nights thinking what he should do. He knew he liked his wife and with her reaction towards him, he could only assume that she liked him too. But if he were to find out the truth behind the lost memories, he must think of a plan. His eyes closed after sleep claimed him. But the last thing on his mind was his wife. Of how he could possibly keep her and investigate just how deep his affections ran.
***

Meanwhile, the last of renovations have finally ended and the ballroom shone brilliantly from the renovated glass. Lydia had taken down the many, tiny glass windows and replaced it with floor to ceiling ones. Now, with the sunlight outside, it was more vibrant.

"Oh, dear god. You could burn a human in here!" Screamed Agatha. "You! Pull those curtains down,this instant!"

Lydia's smile faded.

Samantha had sprinted towards Agatha and hurriedly did what she commanded. The rest of the servants did the same and the room had sadly dimmed.

Her mother made her way towards her direction. All the while, had raised her arms to shield her face from the sun.

"Here you are, Lydia. I have been meaning to speak with you."

"If it does not concern the renovations, mother, we may speak some other time. I am yet to finish up everything in here."

"I'm afraid it has to be now."

"I simply cannot." Her head still throbbed from a the work she had done. And there was her husband to deal with. Although he promised to seek her out again, it had been three days now since the dreadful incident happened. Whatever was she to do?

"...staring at the empty space. You are drifting again, Lydia."

She snapped and remembered where she was.

"Forgive me, mother. There is too much work in my mind right now. Perhaps you can wait until tomorrow."

"I, no, no. I must say my piece—"

"Duchess?" A voice interrupted them. "If I may have a word?"

The ladies turned and saw Damian at the door. "Mother, I would like to speak with my wife." He addressed Agatha. "It is quite urgent."

"O-of course, your grace." She smiled at him and forced herself a curtsey.

Damian gestured for Lydia to come over and ignored the rest. She was too happy to escape her mother and almost ran towards her husband. She fought not to look so relieved.

"My study. Upstairs." He said and closed the door to the ballroom.

Lydia nodded and followed.

She suddenly had a bad feeling.
***

When he opened the door to his study, Lydia had already made up five reasons why he had summoned her. All were not in favor to her current situation. She took a deep breath and entered his space.

"Lydia!"

She whirled around and was hugged by tiny arms. "J-jules?"

The youngest Davensport raised her head and smiled at her. "He said yes!"