21: Offer

"I offer love and loyalty. I expect the same in return."
-loveable

⚜️

Lydia was halfway through the servant's quarters when she bumped into Evangeline.

"Your grace! Oh, you must come. Something terrible has happened."

"What? What is it?" she asked. Her maid was now pulling her towards the back area where the grounds connected the gardens and stables.

Up ahead, they saw several servants gathering around. Lydia saw a flash of blonde hair and something blue come up in the air. There were grunts and what sounded like an exchange of blows.

A brawl.

She saw the neckerchief fly toward the sky. She moved to catch it but was too late. It fell unto the muddy path.

"Oh, dear." Evangeline was quick to kneel and picked it up. "I can wash it, your grace. Worry not."

"I appreciate that, Vanj. However, there are matters at hand that are most important."

Her maid rose and patted down her skirts. "Someone has broken into the women's quarters."

"What?" But as she asked she continued to move forward. "Move aside. Make way!"

The servants heard her and were stunned to see their duchess. They parted like water and revealed a disheveled Damian and a battered face Alistair. Her cousin sat on the ground, his shirt was missing and his lips were bleeding.

"What has happened here? Alistair, explain yourself." She stood between the men. "Stay there your grace, no one raises another hand until we get this sorted out."

"Your husband can throw a punch, cousin dear," Alistair said as he spat out blood. "But only because he caught me unawares. Stand aside and I will show him how to properly do it."

"Stop, stop it!" Lydia pushed her cousin away and struggled to do so. "You do not come into my home and cause trouble." She told him. "The lot of you leave now. This concerns no one but us. Go about your chores, we have guests to serve."

The servants refused to budge, hoping to see how things turned out.

"You heard the duchess. Leave us." Damian scowled.

Finally, they scattered away. Evangeline stayed behind and stood next to Andrea, the cook. She was on her knees next to what appeared to be a half-naked Samantha.

"Good god." Lydia gasped. "Did you harm her?"

Alistair scoffed. "The girl promised me a quick tumble in bed but when I got to her room, she tried to steal my money. I caught her just as she was making a run for it."

"Liar!" Samantha screamed. Her face was half hidden in Andrea's arms. "I did no such thing. You forced yourself on me!"

He looked at Damian, "You take this maid's word over mine? I am your wife's cousin!"

"Yes. I would take her word. Because she never lies. I know Sam, you, I do not."

The girls' cries rose into the air. Lydia's heart broke for her. She slapped her cousin. "How could you?! What man raises a hand towards a defenseless woman?"

Alistair felt the slap. It stung. His gray eyes darkened. "I have been taken advantage of, cousin. This woman is lying. She seduced me! Ask around, she had been everywhere around me. She was begging me to fuck her."

Another slap. And another.

She was enraged now. Screaming even. Damian had to pry her away as she began to claw at Alistair's eyes. He dragged her a few paces away from him.