5: A glimpse

"Appearances are a glimpse of the unseen."

-Anaxagoras
⚜️

The next day, Hinley Manor had seen a much brighter change. The carpets have been replaced, the curtains now sported a lighter shade, the chandeliers were fixed and any ancient furniture were either sold or donated.

When Damian gave her the permission to decorate the manor, Lydia took it to heart. She had worked with countless painters, seamstress, gardeners and other merchants to make her mission a success.

Now, in just two months, the entire place exuded a much welcoming atmosphere.

"You might as well renovate my room, dearest."

She turned to see her mother make her way into the ballroom. The servants bowed at her presence before continuing on their chores. "Mother, I did not expect to see you here."

Agatha raised a brow but did not say anything. She looked around, not displaying any hint of awe or disgust. "This place looks fine to me. What are you changing in here?"

Lydia knew her mother would ask. She dismissed Sam, who had been helping her chose a palette for the walls, and pulled her mother aside. "I would offer you some tea, mother. However, I cannot be away for too long. There is much to do."

"I am not in the mood for tea, anyways." Agatha replied and took a seat on the couch. "Tell me, what is the ballroom going to be?"

With her journal in hand, Lydia decided to spare her mother some time. "I will replace the windows with glass from the North. And the walls painted another hue. The floors are in wonderful condition, so they are not to be touched. While the ceiling-"

"I simply wished to ask what will happen to it?" Agatha interrupted. "The entire place is just fine, dear. But you have been working these changes for months now.  Are you trying to erase the Davensport's legacy?"

"Of course not. They have extraordinary taste when it came to their home. But you have to agree, some parts of the house needed new furnishings. And despite its fairytale beauty, the manor will be in a better state with fashionable items."

"Yes but...why must you spend this much? Its not as if you will be inviting guests soon. Are you?"

Lydia bit down her lip. There was never a plan to invite anyone yet nor had she made a close friends in the area. But she cannot simply tell her mother that this had been her escape from her husband's indifference. Now, it merely distracted her.

"M-mayhap, I would. Once this is all done, that is."

Agatha sighed, "Well, if you insist. I only worry that you may be spending too much time with these people instead with your husband."

"Fret not mother, Damian and I do spend time with each other."

"I do not mean the recent incident, that does not count. You are expected to dote on him whilst he is bed-ridden. I meant that you do not spend enough time as a whole. You two act as if the other does not exist when I am around." She caught her daughter's gaze. "I expect that by now, your husband should have been more intimate with you."

She could not help the annoyance it stirred in her. But Lydia knew that Agatha stayed behind to ensure that she would do her duties as a wife.

"He is, mother. Believe me. Only he is one not to display it in public."

"I hope you are telling me the truth, dear. Because people are starting to wag their tongues about us. I told Lucille that you are very much fertile to raise sons, unlike I did. Although Vincent was not impressed, I can tell he does not like this union very much. Now, I had made myself scarce and had befriended the powerful people around town and have gained their respect. People look up to me because my daughter is the duchess. They would do so much more if we acquire grandchildren. So, do not let me down." She rose and gave the room one more sweep before glancing at her daughter. "Give him a son and I will stop pestering you."