16: A bath and some more

"You can often wash your troubles away with the right kind of bath. Throw everything you have in the tub."

-Henry Beard

⚜️

"Would you like something to eat, your grace?" Evangeline asked. "Before you, erm, throw yourself into war?"

"War?" Lydia whirled around, her maid had to let go of her hair while the brush paused midway. "I am but to perform my duties. It is not as if I were to cross swords with anyone until we bleed or wound one another."

"Well, in a way, you must endure a sword as it penetrates you and eventually you will bleed."

Lydia's cheeks blushed, "Oh.." then she looked up at Evangeline's eyes. "Will it hurt?"

"For a moment." she assured her mistress. "If it is too much to bear, you let him know. I have confidence that the duke would not wish to inflict you pain."

"Mama once told me I should be docile until it is all over. What if I disappoint him?" Her face was painted with worry. She was agitated.

To which, Evangeline spun her around. Hands on Lydia's shoulders she stared at her eyes and said, "You think about no one but yourself once you are in there. Forget what your mother said or the what the other ladies whispered back then. This moment is about you and your husband. Your questions will be answered, I swear. But it is for you to find out how and when you will get them."

"I...I.."

"Just for today, Lyd, be selfish. Listen to no one but yourself. Do what your body dictates you to do. Do you understand?"

Lydia nodded.

"Good. Now, let us present you to your husband, shall we?"

***

Damian had just dismissed Peterson when Evangeline delivered the duchess to his chambers.

"Keep the hounds off our backs will you, Miss Pritchard?"

"I shall do my best, your grace."

When the doors have closed, Lydia hugged herself. "We shan't keep them waiting. The guests are expecting us to host the ball after all."

Damian leaned against the door and stared at his wife's ensemble. The silken robe may have covered her from neck to her ankles but he knew only a few articles remained beneath. He looked forward to tearing them off of her.

"We have time. I am certain your parents are doing their best to keep the guests entertained. Until then, I shall decide when you can leave, duchess. The guests can go to hell for all I care. Because I will take my precious time devouring you."

Lydia gulped down. "H-how long will it take?"

He smiled. "As long as I want it to."

Her eyes wavered. So he slowly went to hold her shoulders and gently rubbed them. "I am nervous," she says. "I have...not prepared.."

Damian chuckled, "I understand why you are nervous, duchess. We probably haven't made love since our wedding night. But fret not, I do not intend to keep you away from your responsibilities. I will ensure to satisfy you enough to stay abed and when you wake, your legs will recover sufficiently and we shall dance the entire night."

She blinked. He did not know that this was their first time together.

"Damian, before that...there is something I must tell you."

"That can wait. Right now, why don't we head to that bath you promised me, hmm?"

"But-"

Damian pulled her body against his and trapped her in a tight embrace. His lips hovered a few inches above hers, "As mush as I desire to take you now, I'm afraid the rain has chilled us both. So, let us not waste that precious hot water."