30: Honesty

"A lie has speed, but truth has endurance."

— Edgar J. Mohn

⚜️

The next few days had been quite, if not, dull for the servants. There were no parties to host, guests to serve or chaos waiting to happen. But for the rest of the people inside the manor, it was bliss.

Snow continued to fall, keeping them cold and forcing them to take refuge inside. And to Lydia, it was perfect. There was no unwanted attention to tend to or suspicious cousins to be wary of. Her life was safe and serene. There was no knowing how long this blissful time would last but until then, she will enjoy the most of it.

Besides, she had her husband by her side. To keep her company and warm as always. Their love-making was frequent than ever. That morning, she found her husband wanting another tumble but she wanted some time to catch up to her letters. She had just gotten some from her parents.

"They may know where Kerr is," she told Damian, "remember, that is our priority."

He snuggled against her neck and groaned, "But it's a lovely day to worry about him. Let us not waste it on that insignificant man. Come, let us stay in bed. I could never get enough of you."

"What a tempting offer. But I'm afraid I must go," she accepted the kiss he gave her and almost, almost gave in. "Did you not promise your brother to go riding today?"

"Dathan is not a child, he can go by himself."

She rolled her eyes, "Now you are acting like a child."

As Damian sensed Lydia's intention to leave the bed, he tightened his embrace, snuggling closer in an attempt to keep her with him a little longer. Lydia sighed, a mixture of contentment and acknowledgment that their moment of comfort couldn't last indefinitely. It was clear to both of them that they would eventually have to face whatever challenges lay ahead.

The warmth of the bed and Damian's comforting presence created a temporary refuge from the outside world. However, the unspoken understanding lingered between them, a recognition that they couldn't avoid confronting the issues that awaited them. Despite the reluctance to part ways, there was an unspoken agreement that they would address their concerns and challenges together when the time was right.

In the quiet intimacy of the moment, they found solace in each other's arms, knowing that the strength of their connection would help them navigate whatever lay ahead.

Finally, Damian exhaled and loosened his grip on her. "I do hate how our duties demand so much, time" he lowered his lips to her and was welcomed with a warm kiss, "I cannot wait to see Alistair locked behind bars. So I could have all the time in the world to devour you."

She chuckled, "Is that all you ever think about? Our marital duties?"

"It is all I can think about, you mean so much to me, Lydia. And I cannot bear the thought of not being able to protect you again."

Touched by his words Lydia kissed him, hard. And Damian was not one to back down in a challenge. His mouth responded the same heated attack she had launched on him. She had learned very well but he was the master. He had so much more to teach her. So he deepened the kiss, making her forget how to breathe.

Her moans remained trapped between their lips. Lydia was feeling dizzy. She needed to gasp for air soon. Damian knew she was reaching her limit so he reached out and pulled his wife on top of him. She let out a panicked yelp upon realizing what he had done.

"D-damian!"

"Ahh, I did picture you out like this. And I believe that I love seeing you up there, wife. I can gander as your breasts heave and bounce about. They are the perfect shape and size, to touch and nibble."