22: Game

"The game is not over until it is.
-Dwight Yorke

⚜️

The guests were taken towards the garden for the game of pall mall. The women lounge on their picnic blankets in their tents while the men gathered amongst themselves, no doubt to plan out a strategy.

Damian made his own team: Garndner, Alexi, Julianna, and Lydia.

"We're up against all men. Am I allowed to strike in their direction?" The young Davensport asked.

"Definitely not." Her brother said. "And do not think for a second that you can go behind my back."

She pouted. A habitual reaction from a child her age. Almost immediately he ruffled her hair but he held back, her governess did a nice work on her curls. Instead, he went down on one knee so they could see at eye level. "How about I let you pick your mallet? I might even let you do the first hit."

Her smile was so bright, the sun could not compare. "There's the brother that I know: fun." Then she made her way towards the rack and began perusing which mallet to use.

A shadow stood next to him, when he looked up, his wife's smiling face peered down at him. "Any strategies for how to defeat the other team, your grace?"

He smiled back and rose to his feet. "We have younger players, I suppose we could make them chase around the balls until their knees gave out?"

Lydia chuckled. "You are not very good at this, are you? The game is not all about stamina. You need to be precise in hitting the ball, and pass it through the hoops before you can score."

"We should make you the captain then."

Alexi and Garnder came about, each carried a mallet. "Your grace, would you like to test these?"

Damian took the one his secretary handed him. They took a few steps back, gave it a nice swing, and said, "I'll take this one."

His wife was examining them closer. She lifted the slightly darker shade of maple and felt gave it a swing. "This is sturdy yet light to handle. May I try the other one, your majesty?"

Alexi happily took the other bat and exchanged it for a lighter shade. "This is rather heavy, duchess. Might be too difficult for your fragile, soft hands."

Lydia grew curious and took the mallet. True to his words, this was one that weighed more than what she was used to. When she gave it a swing, she almost toppled over. The prince was quick enough to catch her before anything happened. His arms went around her, and his face was a few inches closer. Practically hugging her.

"I probably should pick the first one." She said and took a step back. Alexi pulled his arms away. "Thank you. I rarely lose my footing, if I fell down on my face, I would probably be covered in dirt."

"Worry not, duchess. I am often quick to come to rescue any damsel in distress." His eyes twinkled.

Oh boy, what lady could resist that? Lydia thought. She may not be familiar with this royal but she knew his kind: flirtatious bound for trouble. "My husband and I are yet to discuss the 'plan'. Until then, I would appreciate it if you try not to do anything to make matters worse."

"I'm afraid it may be too late for that, duchess."

"Why would you say that?"

Alexi leaned close to pick up the heavier mallet and handed her the lighter one. "I believe our unfortunate exchange has caught some eyes amongst these guests."

Her breath stopped. She wanted to turn her head and look around but something in Alexi's voice warned her not to. After taking the mallet from her, he walked away and went to help Julianna. Lydia took a deep breath and forced out a wide smile. "Your grace? Do you need your gloves?"