9: A willing embrace

"Trust the wait. Embrace the uncertainty."

-Minna So
⚜️

Lydia woke up when she felt warm breath against her nose. She flicked open one eye and saw Damian's face half an inch away from hers. His lashes twitched twice and calmed down. A soft snore also erupted from him.

She tried to move but found herself trapped in his arms. A blanket was also thrown on them and with her crying last night, they must have wrapped it around them. She found that her leg was propped against his and was just trapped.

With only her eyes to guide her through this situation, she tried to look around and noticed that the fire was still up. It may still be early in the morning or one of the servants came in and added more fuel to it. But since the curtains have been drawn, the study was still dark. She could not tell what time it was.

Lydia turned her gaze back to Damian. Might as well savor this chance to see him this close. After all, she been deprived of such chance in the past two months. And he looked so peaceful when he slept. Had it not been for the bandage around his head, he looked like a sleeping prince.

She used the time to study his face closely. He had thick brows and milky white skin. Along his sideburns appeared to be a white mark. She guessed it may be a scar, she can ask him tomorrow. Besides that, Damian appeared to be as smooth as a newborn. Whereas his twin had sharper jaw and burly patch of hair. She had been so preoccupied observing him that she feel back into a deep slumber.

True to his word, he allowed her to cry herself to sleep while he simply cradled her in his arms. The sherry had been forgotten and she did not mind that the rug hurt her skin. His embrace was all that mattered. He made her feel safe and secure. She truly loved this man.

By the time she had awakened the second time, Lydia found herself alone on the sofa. The blanket was wrapped around her and a pillow was propped behind her head. She sat up and saw the fire had died down. Perhaps Damian woke up and had searched for more wood. But it appears that he had also lifted her from the floor and deposited her there. She must have been in deep sleep to not have noticed.

Glancing at the clock, she noted it was around ten past eight. Realizing she only had two hours left to dress up and be off to the village, she flung off the blankets and ran towards the door. She almost bumped into Evangeline.

"Your grace! You are up. I was just about to fetch you."

"Well, I am awake. Now hurry, I must be off."

"Yes, the duke told me. He has requested for the carriage be drawn up and by the time you two are dressed, you should be on your way." Evangeline explained as they sprinted from the study to her room. "Your dress is ready and we only have to put you in it."

"What will I do without you, Vanj..."

For half an hour, they managed to tidy her hair and changed her into a white and blue dress. She requested a very simple attire to avoid raising questions at the village. She only hoped Damian did the same.

A knock sounded moments later.

"Your grace? It is I, Peterson. I have brought you the bouquet."

"Come in!"

Peterson pushed the door open and carried the flowers she bought the day before. He placed it on her hands.

"Thank goodness they have not wilted. Thank you, Peterson. Now, is the duke outside?"

"He is waiting down below, your grace. If you do not mind, I shall escort you."

Lydia stood up and gestured for Evangeline to follow. If she was going to enjoy this wedding, might as well bring along her best friend.