chapter three

I probably won't give a ton of Hermione's point of view chapters in this book. I want it to mainly be from Draco's perspective, but I think info from Hermione in the beginning is important :)

............

September 3rd, 8:00PM

"C'mere Crookshanks," Hermione patted the blanket beside her, the fluffy orange cat jumping from the floorboards onto her cornflower blue bedsheets.

Sunlight began to flood through the lake that early morning, making water glimmer across her bleak, yet to be decorated walls in a beautiful dancing pattern.

One week ago she'd decided to mail Professor McGonagall about her change of heart regarding returning for a final year of school.

Five days ago she'd received a letter back, stating that her admission would be accepted, but they were low on space due to the everlasting rebuild of both gryffindor and ravenclaw towers. The dungeons remained practically untouched, old classrooms having been changed to house students that no longer had access to living quarters.

Those were entirely full, and now the half crumbled castle was deprived of room.

Two days ago Professor McGonagall had apologetically introduced her to a seven by ten storage closet tucked in the back of the slytherin dormitories, cleared of it's cleaning supplies. Instead there sat a black metal bed frame and mattress, one wooden desk, and an empty bookshelf, the white paint peeling off it's wood.

Now, Hermione was decorating.

It was the only thing she could fill her free time with, making the big closet as cozy and homey as possible.

Most of Hermione's decor had come from her bedroom at Grimmauld Place, where Harry had moved in alone. Ginny planned to move in during the next year or so, once her studies were finally over. Hermione promised to move out as soon as she could, but still she'd no idea where she'd go.

Mrs. Weasley and Ginny had taken her shopping previous to her return to Hogwarts, due to her parent's permanent state of obliviation in Australia.

Mrs. Weasley tried her best to remain kind and motherly, but nothing could fill the gaping hole left in Hermione's heart.

"Stay," she pointed a finger to Crookshanks who'd curled in a ball on the cream white blankets, purring softly as she opened her door a few inches, looking out towards the hall to make sure no one was there before creeping outside.

She knew she couldn't remain secretive forever, but the longer nobody noticed her the better.

"No, you do it!" A voice hissed from the staircase that led down to the common room.

Hermione held her head down, debating turning around and trying again tomorrow, but she'd already made it to the second to last stair.

Someone had been shoved right in front of her next step.

"Um — hi," the boy said awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand, "Are you staying here? Like, permanently? We noticed you come in a few days ago. You keep coming back-"

"Sorry, he's a tad bit awful with interactions outside of his own little circle of friends," a girl with sleek black hair that went down to her lower back elbowed him in the side, "Pansy Parkinson. But you already know that, don't you? We saw you come in a few days ago. Basically, um — what he said."