chapter twenty six

He had asked her out.

It'd been over coffee on an early Sunday morning, at a small shop in Hogsmeade.

Hermione said yes, but wanted some sense of privacy as rumors were already spreading of their relations, and she didn't want anything set in stone, at least not in anyone else's minds.

She said she just needed a little while to settle in, and being 'boyfriend and girlfriend' would make things too awkward. He understood, and agreed that they wouldn't put a label on it yet, but if anyone were to ask, she was okay with him introducing her as his girl.

His girl.

It was the dreamiest conversation he'd ever had, and it felt good knowing he was beginning to mend the broken sculpture that was Hermione Granger.

Her shattered eyes were beginning to soften, and he knew he was now laced into the interior of her heart.

............

October 28th

"That's absolutely ridiculous, Draco, especially because you drew it on your O.W.L.s-"

"Halloween Party, this Saturday," Pansy smiled, winking at Draco and Hermione as he took two pamphlets, "If you two don't come, you die."

"Thanks Pans, we love you too," Draco rolled his eyes, staring at the orange piece of parchment before handing one to his girlfriend beside him.

He held up the pamphlet, reading it in a loud voice, "Come and get shit-faced."

"Is anyone surprised?" Hermione scoffed, "It's Pansy. She'll be blackout drunk before the party even starts."

"You know we're going in matching costumes, right?"

"And did I ever agree to that?" Hermione stared at him with pure death in her eyes.

"You have now."

"No-"

"C'mon Granger, I know you want to."

"Anyway, how many times have you done that?" Hermione smiled sweetly, holding her books tight to her chest as he continued to reminisce on the times his teachers had caught him sketching lewd images in his notes.

"To switch the subject... on accident, three times," he mumbled embarrassedly, flipping through the pages of his sketchbook as she looked on in admiration, "I did to Snape once, to distract him during one of my Occlumency lessons. It worked quite well."

"Oh Merlin," Hermione cringed, shriveling her nose in disgust, "What was it?"

"Some girl giving a blowjob," Draco snickered, shutting it with a snap and tucking it back into his satchel, "He hit me with a langlock spell after, but it was worth it just to see that stupid look on his face. He was all like, 'If it were...not...for your...strange predicaments...'"

He imitated the sluggishness of his voice, but before she could laugh, someone tugged him by the back of his robes.

"What the-"

"I see y'er still prideful of y'er old death eater's apprentice, Malfoy," Seamus let go of his hood with a snicker, Hermione turning around with anger in her eyes.

"Snape is the only reason the Potters were hid in the first place, and you think you have the bloody right to call him that?" Hermione scoffed, eyebrows furrowed in annoyance that the counterparts she'd grown up around and loved had turned into such self righteous snobs.

"Granger, let's just go-" Draco tried to take her hand, but she shook him off, prepared for this argument as though she'd been waiting for it all year.

"Oh shut up, Hermione, nobody with their skirt hiked that far up their arse should be able to speak on-"