chapter twenty two

quick note I'd like to say wtf I did NOT expect this book to gain traction on this platform at all, it's doing much better here than over on ao3 which is very surprising to me. anyways, thank you for all of the support, I'm glad you're enjoying it <3

-

Sunday, October 4th

It was a particularly cold morning when Hermione found him on the couch of the slytherin common room, sketching his muggle studies project by the warmth of the fireplace.

"So you leave me after breakfast yesterday just to go on a date with another girl?"

Her voice was shaking, full of malice like red paint to a fresh canvas, hands balled into fists as she approached with teary eyes.

Confusion peaked in his chest, eyebrows furrowing, "Good morning to you too, Granger."

"That's all you have to say? Good morning?"

Hermione's voice quivered in her throat as she spoke, absolute hurt written across her face as he looked up from his novel.

"It was lunch with a friend, Granger," Draco laughed, looking up at her with heartfelt eyes, "There's no need to worry. Pansy and I were planning Theodore's birthday, that's all."

"Oh," She looked thoroughly embarrassed, red flushing her cheeks as her fists unrolled, Draco sitting still on the couch, "I'm sorry, I — I don't know why I-"

"It's alright," he took her hand, pulling her between his legs, "Why didn't you just ask Pansy, love?"

"I don't know," she mumbled, squeezing his hand, "I just freaked out. I'm sorry."

"Were you jealous, Granger?" Draco smirked, placing his hand on her thigh, "Because I'd gladly take you on a real date. What do you want, flowers? Chocolates?"

"I don't know," She sighed with a shake of her head, further stepping into him, "I just know I don't want to share you."

"I don't want to share you either," he whispered before standing up, watching pink bloom across her cheeks, "How about this... Seven thirty, wear a pretty dress. I'm gonna take you somewhere nice, yeah?"

"Okay," she whispered with a nod, biting her lip as his hands reached for her hips.

Draco glanced away from her as the common room door swung open, revealing a group of third years with bags full of candy from Honeydukes after a trip to Hogsmeade.

"I'll see you tonight, Granger," Draco murmured, pulling her in as the children stared in awe, watching gryffindor's golden hero kiss slytherin's infamous war terrorist, one their parents had told them to fear, to avoid no matter the cost.

Whispers spread as he walked past them with his hands in his pockets, smirk etched into his lips as butterflies danced in his chest.

He was going on a date with Hermione Granger.

............

"You're going on a date with Hermione Granger?!"

Theodore shrieked too loudly as Blaise, Draco and he sat at lunch, watching Ginny snort from across the room at gryffindor table where Hermione sat with Pansy, Luna and Neville.

"Hopefully none of the hundred people who just heard you know who that was directed to," Draco muttered, rubbing his temples with his fingers.

He was stressed. What would he wear? Would it be good enough for her? Would he accidentally make her upset again? Who had told her about Pansy and his' lunch? Why had they said it in such a way that'd made it seem like a date? Why was he overthinking more than she was?