chapter twenty eight

November 2nd

"Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug-"

Ginny's chanting was cut off as Blaise slammed his empty cup of orange juice down on the tabletop.

"Suck it!" Blaise let out a disgusting burp, Luna sitting next to him utterly unfazed whilst adding another braid to her platinum blonde curls.

"I almost had it-"

"Don't fucking lie, Theodore," Ginny passed Blaise his share of five galleons as Pansy wiped the remaining orange juice dribbling down Theodore's chin with a napkin.

"I was only one sip behind!"

"When you two throw up later, don't do it near me," Draco grimaced in disgust, one hand on Hermione's knee to still it's constant bouncing.

She had another nightmare last night.

"How are you feeling?" he whispered to her quietly as the others conversed, watching as she picked at her food with her fork.

Hermione shrugged.

"Do you want me to skip charms?"

She shook her head in disagreement but he inevitably watched the blush leap onto her cheeks and the sides of her lips turned upwards in a smile.

"Alright. I'll skip."

"You don't have to-"

It was the first thing she'd said all morning.

"You look exhausted, Granger," he brushed a curl from her face and tucked it behind her ear, "Let's just chill, yeah? I don't want to leave you by yourself."

She reluctantly agreed, and after breakfast they returned to the slytherin common room.

"Which one was it this time?" Draco asked as she lay her head on his lap on the couches, legs curled up beneath a blanket.

He hadn't gotten a chance to talk about it that early morning, as he was too focused on coaxing her back to sleep.

"Flashback," she mumbled against the blanket, pulling it further over her shoulders and clenching the sides between her fists to shield her lower face, "The war. Nothing specific."

He hummed in understanding, stroking her curls whilst admiring how beautiful she was, even so curled up in his lap like a small child afraid of the dark and the monsters under the bed.

He shifted so he was laying his head against the sofa's arm, allowing her to climb into his arms in a soft and loving hug, face buried against his chest after a terrible nights sleep.

"You look so beautiful..." he murmured as she rested in his arms, the slow breaths leaving her nose and the hesitant rising and falling of her chest contrasting the crackling of the brick fireplace.

............

"Today we will be learning about muggle television..."

Draco sprinted in moments late, slightly disheveled and tie missing from his half unbuttoned dress shirt.

Professor Evergreen raised an eyebrow.

"...Can anyone tell me what a television is? Mister Malfoy?"

"Erm-"

He barely took his seat, ruffling his hair as another fifth year patiently raised his hand, and then answered the question with ease.

"That would be correct, Mister Lewes," she exclaimed pointedly, a small grey box with a reflective square being rolled into the center of the room, "A television is a muggle's form of entertainment."